I want one of these but... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old September 17th, 2003, 07:20 PM   #1
Regular Crew

I want one of these but...

This is a c/p from a website I found in Videomaker mag. Why is this camera cheaper than most? International?

Thanks,

ccicameracity.com

Canon 7920a001aa
GL2 Digital Camcorder (intl model)

Professional Quality
L-Series Fluorite Lens
20x Zoom Lens
100x Digital Zoom
Optical Image Stabilization
$1694.99

The GL2 maximizes the capability of the DV format by using 3 CCD image sensors. Each CCD is assigned to handle one of the three primary colors - Red, Green and Blue. A beam splitting prism precisely separates the light passing through the lens into individual color components, and each is sent to its own CCD. This process achieves outstanding picture detail, highly accurate color reproduction, wide dynamic range and virtually no color noise, making the GL1 suitable for many professional applications.

Randy Brazell
Barry Gilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2003, 07:28 PM   #2
High School Student

If it sounds too good to be true, THEN IT IS!!!

www.resellerratings.com

I'm assuming by "international", they really are saying it's grey market.
Alex Knappenberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2003, 10:03 PM   #3
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Barry,
Do yourself a big favor and stick with reputable dealers for your camera purchase. Whether you purchase from one of our site's sponsors or another dealer make sure that you get what you pay for from an authorized Canon dealer who offers a unit covered by a warranty you can use.

You've probably worked hard (or will work hard) for the money for your new camera. Don't get bamboozled by a shadowy dealer.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2003, 04:22 AM   #4
Wrangler

The tip off is the word 'International", which usually means it did not enter the US through the Canon USA distribution system, and thus may not have a Canon USA warranty or 30-day DOA coverage. You may find that you have to return the camera to Canon in Japan, or buy a third party warranty (really a maintenance agrreement) for warranty work in the USA, or pay Canon.

But you could call Canon and ask them what it means.
Old September 18th, 2003, 06:35 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Thanks for your time. I just wondered what the difference in this one and the ones I see that are known good dealers. I have been saving for so long and don't want to lose all my hard earned money for some yahoo tryin' to cheat me and Canon.

Thanks again guys!

Randy Brazell
Barry Gilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2003, 05:23 AM   #6
Wrangler

Also, often interesting to check with the BBB (better Business Bureau) web site about places with ads that sound "too good to be true". The time invested can be illuminating.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders