Some GL2 questions -- low light, etc. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old September 29th, 2003, 07:14 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Gl2

Hello again,

I have some more questions about Canon's GL2 model.

First of all - how does its STILL CAMERA mode work? Are pictures good enough? Is there option to manual adjust iris and shutter like in a VIDEO mode?

Second question is about MACRO. I want to record also little grasshoppers or spiders, how close will I go with my lens?

Third question - is Canon's FRAME MODE as good or even better like in a PANASONIC PVDV953 model?

Thanx!

Marko Zorec
Marko Zorec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2003, 07:17 AM   #2
Regular Crew

JUST ONE MORE THING...

What about low light capatibilities? Can I take footages really in candlelight conditions? Or in a room in the evening with lights on, but no additional PRO lights?

Thanx again,

Marko Zorec
Old September 29th, 2003, 07:49 AM   #3
Obstreperous Rex

We just had a whole thread about macro. Basically it's built-in. Zoom out all the way wide, take off the lens hood and you can focus right on the glass.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2003, 03:09 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Marko,
I better be careful here and not tee off the "Kennelmaster".
But if you're really into spiders and grasshoppers, you're better off zooming all the way in and shooting at about 1 meter. That way your critters may hold still; they surely will move when you zoom all the way out and get up really close.
Cheers,
Roland
Roland Barth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2003, 03:32 PM   #5
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Marco,
The subjects of all of your questions have many, many postings so please use our Search to do more extensive research.

The GL2's still photo facility is not nearly as good as digital still cams. It may be "good enough" for your purposes, whatever that may be. But get digital still camera for best results. The GL2's a video camera.

The popular opinion is that Sony's are better for low/no light shooting.

I can't compare frame mode between the two cameras.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2003, 09:30 PM   #6
Obstreperous Rex

I believe Roland's advice is better than mine when it comes to real, live critters. The farther away you are, the less likely they'll move out of the field of view.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2003, 12:59 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Thankx for the answers,

in that time I have read all of the opinions in this forum which relate on my questions...

About photo mode: I expected that it is not as good as it is in the digital still cameras. I own an analogue Nikon F 65 and really good lens, I will stay on that thing for photo shooting. I was just asking myself how good or bad is the gl2's photo mode... I will buy it for video shootings of course... :)

About macro: I prefer to zoom in and be as far as it is possible from the object. Then also the field of depth is smaller.

Thanx...

Marko Zorec
Old September 30th, 2003, 12:40 PM   #8
Regular Crew

macro samples

Hi Marko,

This summer I did some macro shots with my XM2 (GL2). I bought a close up lens (number 3) and these kind of lenses give you the ability to use the full zoom range when being close to a subject. Te lower the number of your close up lens, the further away you must be from the subject in order to use full zoom.
With the number 3 lens you can use full zoom when being about 30 to 40 cm (about 12 to 14 inch) away from the subject.

Here are 2 samples I have shot: first one I happenend to be trying out my new bought close up lens on a flower when a fly landed. And the second sample is of a baby frog in the garden, little bigger than the nail on your thumb.

http://members.lycos.nl/rezahormes/image/fly.jpg
http://members.lycos.nl/rezahormes/image/frog.jpg

by the way, these are captured frames, not photos.
Joris Beverloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2003, 02:31 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Great images, Joris.
Please tell us more about the "number 3" close-up lense (brand and cost). Did you use the "frame" or "normal" movie mode for these images?
Roland
Roland Barth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2003, 02:37 AM   #10
Regular Crew

close up or diopter lens

Hi Roland,

I purchased the close up lens in my local photo shop. On internet I saw they also called it diopters. The ones I bought were from B&W but Tiffen also has them.

some more einformation on them is on this page
http://www.schneideroptics.com/filte...sion/diopters/

Hope you find what you need
Joris Beverloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2003, 02:51 AM   #11
Regular Crew

Hello,

The fly is really amazing. And how much cost this diopter?

Thanx,

Marko Zorec
Old October 1st, 2003, 07:49 AM   #12
Regular Crew

costs

oh yes hehe I forgot to post what the costs were, sorry! I payed somewhere around 30 euro for it...wich will be around the same price in us dollar.
Joris Beverloo is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders