how to use GL1 for shooting rock band at a club... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old September 29th, 2003, 04:23 PM   #1
Regular Crew

how to use GL1 for shooting rock band at a club...

hi everyone.

a band that i play drums in is going to play tonight at a club. three of us have DV cameras and we decided to do a three camera shoot of the set and then make a little dvd just for kicks. sound will be captured seperately and synced back up later. i have a GL1 and the other cameras are both smaller 1 chip cameras. one will be handheld and the other two will be on tripods onstage. my GL1 will be onstage. SO...

i've barely used my camera so far (unfortunately). so far i've only experimented with it in full manual mode, but i'm wondering if one of the automatic settings might be a better choice for this deal. i really want to worry about playing drums, not shooting video.

anybody have any advice for me regarding the auto settings for the GL1?
i have a few hours to play around with it, but i thought i would ask...

also, i think the other cameras both have a "progressive" mode. i would love to shoot in frame mode because i like it, but will it roughly match another camera's progressive mode? i wish i had model names & numbers for you guys, but alas i do not. maybe i should just have everyone shoot interlaced and tweak it later...? the thought of rendering all that makes me cringe.

anyway, thanks in advance for any advice. i'm just needing to shoot something and play with it. i've had my camera for 7 or 8 months and i basically haven't shot much of anything. still working on the script... HA! now i know why everyone says finish the script before you worry about the camera. by the time i'm ready to make my movie i'll be wanting something way cooler than what i've got!

ryan
Ryan Martino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2003, 02:10 PM   #2
Trustee

Ryan

Check out this thread

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?s=&threadid=14976

regarding matching the progressive mode from the other cameras...it depends on which camera...if its a canon optura (older models..I think the elura had it too, way back when) you'll be fine, Panasonic dvx, or previous frame mode panasonics...fine....sony...I think most of them have a 15 fps progressive mode...which I would avoid, unless you like that look....better to shoot interlaced with the sonys and deinterlace in post.

With the gl1 you have less control than with the gl2, but you should still be able to get good results, as long as you have enough light

regarding sound, turn on the built-in mic attenuator, and record the club sound through the camera as well as your separate board tape...recently I shot a show for a friend, and when we got the board recording, it sounded a little too "studio", so I mixed in a little of the "live" camera sound to dirty it up a bit. Also, don't be surprised if your separate sound recording doesn't completely match up...ie it will probably come out a few seconds long or short, depending on the length of your takes. It's pretty easy to reconnect it by either adjusting the speed of the audio clip, or by breaking up the audio into smaller "song bytes", and then aligning each song separately.

Barry
Barry Goyette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2003, 07:22 PM   #3
Regular Crew

hey barry -

thanks for the link and the editing tip. the show went well. I recorded my band's set and the band after us. i used the "auto" mode so it would pick all the settings for me, but i could use frame mode. all the lights were red, so it's kind of boring to look at, color wise. but the video did come out o.k. it looks great on a small screen, but pretty blown out and fuzzy on my 27" tv.
i'm guessing that's partly an issue of seeing the resolution blown up all huge?
i'm sure it's a little overexposed too. the frame mode looks real cool.

i used the mic att. to pad the input volume and the sound is damn good! way more balanced than the mix from the board, which has no guitar of course. when i heard the board mix and the camera sound today, i thought of mixing them together right away. good suggestion.

the one real bummer was that the tape of my band's set has no sound on it whatsoever! the tape with the other band's set on it is perfect. also, the tape with my set on it has all sorts of pixelation and dropouts, but the other band's tape looks great. they were the same brand and came from the same package. i didn't do a single thing different, so i'm quite confused about that.
the only thing different is that the tape i used for my band was brand new and not "black striped" or whatever. the other tape had been recorded on, but not on the section that i used for the show!??

wacky...

anyway, thanks for the tips...

ryan
Old September 30th, 2003, 07:39 PM   #4
Regular Crew

hey barry -

thanks for the link and the editing tip. the show went well. I recorded my band's set and the band after us. i used the "auto" mode so it would pick all the settings for me, but i could use frame mode. all the lights were red, so it's kind of boring to look at, color wise. but the video did come out o.k. it looks great on a small screen, but pretty blown out and fuzzy on my 27" tv.
i'm guessing that's partly an issue of seeing the resolution blown up all huge?
i'm sure it's a little overexposed too. the frame mode looks real cool.

i used the mic att. to pad the input volume and the sound is damn good! way more balanced than the mix from the board, which has no guitar of course. when i heard the board mix and the camera sound today, i thought of mixing them together right away. good suggestion.

the one real bummer was that the tape of my band's set has no sound on it whatsoever! the tape with the other band's set on it is perfect. also, the tape with my set on it has all sorts of pixelation and dropouts, but the other band's tape looks great. they were the same brand and came from the same package. i didn't do a single thing different, so i'm quite confused about that.
the only thing different is that the tape i used for my band was brand new and not "black striped" or whatever. the other tape had been recorded on, but not on the section that i used for the show!??

wacky...

anyway, thanks for the tips...

ryan
Old October 1st, 2003, 10:21 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Hey Ryan, what band are you in? I just moved from 'Burque to Austin, if you had this show a week earlier I could have helped you with it. :)
Old October 1st, 2003, 03:18 PM   #6
Regular Crew

andres -

too bad we didn't hook up sooner!
that gig was my first show with a band called "the shine cherries".
they do a super slow alt. country thing. think cowboy junkies meets mazzy star, but slower. somehow i got away with playing this john bonham style drumming with them. it made me feel a little naughty.... he he he.

i have a few friends in austin already. it's a great place. good luck there!

martino

oh, sorry about the double post...
Old October 2nd, 2003, 10:46 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Was that the Evan Dando show at Launchpad? I think I read about that at RockSquawk right before I left.

Your name sounds familiar, what other bands have you played with?
Old October 2nd, 2003, 02:21 PM   #8
Regular Crew

hey andres -

i just continued our conversation via email, so we don't have to veer completely off topic here on the forum....

everyone else -

any suggestions on what might have gone wrong with the missing sound from one of my tapes from the show?.....

thanks -

martino
Ryan Martino is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders