Using the GL2 picture software ??'s at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old October 30th, 2003, 10:11 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Using the GL2 picture software ??'s

Anybody else having problrms using the picture software that comes with the GL2. I have a bunch of pictures on my memory card and I can't get them off becasue the software isn't working. I installed the program on a Windows XP Machine, restarted then plugged in the GL2 to the USB port and when I open up the program it says no camera was detected, then I select again that it is connected to the USB port and it still doesn't see it. Then I tried to connect it through Firewire and it wouln't detect it there either. I can capture video fine through firewire, but I can't get any pictures off of the memory card.

Anyone have any fixes??

www.jcmediaservices.com
www.kickbacktracks.com
Royalty Free Video Production Loops!
Jason Casey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2003, 10:17 AM   #2
Regular Crew

I have exactly the same problem. I finally threw in the towel and bought a $14 SD card reader. Now I can get the pictures off the SD card with no problems.

Cheers,
Mark
Mark Jefferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2003, 10:40 AM   #3
Major Player

I had the same problem at first.

Make sure you click on the "Canon_DV:F/Dcim" under Canon Camera.

That’s all I can suggest, if you haven’t done it already.
Richard Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2003, 04:14 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Do a search on this.

You don't need ANY software for transferring your still images from your GL2.
Chris Fangio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2003, 04:25 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Is the switch above the record button set to "CARD?"

I plugged my camera in with the USB, switched it to "CARD," and turned it on VCR. After that, the Install New Hardware wizard came up. I manually selected the install location and checked CD-ROM, nothing else. Then the driver was installed and I could view the pictures. I think you might've had some trouble installing the driver, even though you don't even need to.
Ryan Krga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2003, 12:41 PM   #6
Regular Crew

I just installed my cd this morn. and used the GL2 to download my photos. The program worked great for me. I found it rather easy to use for a change. And can anyone tell me the largest size of SD card I can buy for the GL2? in the manual they listed up to 64 mb and which card works the best MM card or the SD card?
Thanks form a new GL2 owner.
Steve
Steve Olds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2003, 04:04 PM   #7
Regular Crew

I tried every combination of the switches and numerous re-installs of the software, finally I just gave up and purchased one of those card readers that connects via USB port. It works great and also takes the smart media cards that I use for my digital camera as well so I guess that is a better option in the long run.

www.jcmediaservices.com
www.kickbacktracks.com
Royalty Free Video Production Loops!
Jason Casey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2003, 02:22 AM   #8
Inner Circle

You just need to install the usb driver for you camera.
(Called "USB storage driver" or something like that, if I remember correct)
Then the camera should show up in Windows Explorer like any other removable disk.

Steve Olds:
I use a 128MB SD card in my XM2. I also tested a 512MB SD card once. No problems at all.
Trond Saetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2003, 09:23 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Thank you. Now I can buy a larger SD card. Can you tell me about how many photos you can put on a 128mb card? On the 8mb card I can only get 6 photos in the fine mode. Thanks Again for the info.

Steve
Steve Olds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2003, 11:11 AM   #10
Inner Circle

You can get about 200 pictures (largest size, best quality) acording to the info in the camera's viewfinder/LCD screen. (128MB SD card)

The actual number of pictures you can get depends a lot of the light conditions when you take the pictures.
The file sizes will be larger for pictures taken in low light than outdoors in bright light.

(The most I have taken in one session is about 170. Mixed indoor/outdoor)
Trond Saetre is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders