Which Extended Warranty? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old October 31st, 2003, 03:12 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Which Extended Warranty?

Thank you, all, for your fascinating and informative posts which have helped me in my decision to purchase a GL2.

Now, I'm deliberating which extended warranty to get. Mack Camera's was highly recommended to me by a dvinfo.net sponsor. There's also Warrantech/Repairmaster's. Then there's the NSI Extended Warranty which is only available online at One Call and Best Price Audio Video AND with a GL2 purchase.

I'd really appreciate hearing which warranty you think offers the best protection and coverage.

Thanks,
Dorothy
Dorothy Engleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2003, 05:44 AM   #2
Warden

Mack Camera's Warranty has been mentioned favorably on many occasions in the forums. I don't think any of the others has been mentioned before. Good luck on your new purchase.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2003, 06:10 AM   #3
Wrangler

You might consider a good insurance plan that protects against loss, damage or theft rather than an extended warranty.

Extended warranties typically only cover defects that usually make themselves known during the manufacturer's warranty period.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | The best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Robert Knecht Schmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2003, 03:42 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Jeff and Robert, thanks!!!

Coverage for damage, theft and loss sounds great. But a four-year extended warranty under $200 is an affordable expense and will offer basic insurance for my investment.

If I were willing to pay almost a thousand bucks extra, I'd buy my GL2 at Best Buy and feel confident that I'd be receiving pretty generous coverage with their Purchase Protection Plan, with the option of upgrading to a newer model. Or for only $800 more, I could patronize a local camera store, who'll send my GL2 back to Canon for me if ever anything goes wrong within their 5-year extended warranty.

But I've decided to purchase at Zotz Digital, where I can save money and receive first-class service. Brian highly recommends Mack. But Videosmith dropped Mack and sells RepairTech.
RepairMaster/Warrantech and NSI also offer warranties.

With all the reviews written about camcorders, there are, surprisingly, no solid, comparative reviews about the extended warranties that protect our investments.

Dorothy
Dorothy Engleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2003, 05:46 AM   #5
Wrangler

As I understand it, only the mfgr can se; a "warranty". All the rest are maintenance agreements, and they have a high profit margin for the seller; e.g., a 4-year extension for a $3499 camcorder that retails for about $399 costs the small business retialer about $180. For a $2000 camcorder is is about $110. So it is expensive "insurance."

Think of it as insurance. On the average and over a period of time and number of purchases you loose money. Extended warranties will exceed expected average repair costs by a factor of at least 3 or 4, perhaps more. (How else could the extended warranty company make money on it?) However, as with insurance, if you can afford the insurance, but not the lump sum cost of repairs if any are required, go for it.

An alternative is to consider the "extension" offered as part of some credit card purchases.

The trick with all is to manage the paper and records so tht 4.5 years from now you can produce the paper and trust that the company is still in business.
Old November 4th, 2003, 09:55 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Don Palomaki wrote:

"Think of it as insurance....An alternative is to consider the "extension" offered as part of some credit card purchases."

Hi Don! I appreciate your reply!
Yes, I had been considering just using my credit card to extend Canon's warranty by an additional year.

But, frankly, from reading about the substantial defects that have occurred with some users in this forum, I definitely would feel better insuring my investment with a four or five year extended warranty.

I've narrowed my choices to two:

Buying from a dvinfo.net sponsor at a terrific price with outstanding customer service and no tax. But I'd have to purchase a Mack Camera four year extended warranty and be responsible for over $30 of packing, postage AND return postage to Mack every time my GL2 needed a repair.

My other option is more painful financially: dishing out over 600 bucks more to a reputable, local merchant for a GL2 and purchasing their five year extended warranty. But the camera store will send my GL2 to Canon at no cost to me if and whenever it needs repair.

I have till the end of December when the rebate expires to decide whether paying $600 extra is indeed the better deal and worth the extra peace of mind.

Dorothy

Dorothy Engleman is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders