Shooting a low light concert - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old November 13th, 2003, 05:57 AM   #16
Wrangler

Gain amplifies the signal, all signal including noise, read from the CCD before it reaches the A/D converters. In low light, the desired signal caused by light is very close to the level of noise just naturally generated in the CCD.

It also amplifies the differences in dark current of the individual pixels in the CCD, and that appears as a fixed grain pattern in the image.

Gain with a camcorder is a bit like like push processing of film.

You can use gain in the camcorder, or use gain in post production, to brighten an image. Using camcorder gain may be more effective preserving shadow detail

Keep in mind that in many cases a noisy and grainy image is better than no image.

As to recycling tape. Occasionally people have reported problems with incomplete erasure. and bits of the earlier shoot may show through. For important work safer to use fresh tape.

You pays your money and takes your chances.
Old November 13th, 2003, 12:00 PM   #17
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Graham,
My remark about "...break the dial" was strictly metaphorical. Meaning: generally forget about program modes and take direct control of the camera.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2003, 12:37 PM   #18
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

As always, Don is completely correct by remarking, "...in many cases a noisy and grainy image is better than no image."

A key consideration with respect to the acceptability of grain, however, will be the target viewing venue of the footage. If the target will be a compressed medium, such as Web or DVD, grainy footage may be a nightmare. Grain can wreak havoc with heavy compression on two fronts. First, because it adds an enormous amount of random detail, it can really bloat a compressed file and take quite a while to compress. Second, during viewing (decompression) the grain tends to become magnified and more pronounced. There are ways to soften and smooth-out some grain during compression to mitigate these consequences. But it would take a real pro to make such adjustments, particularly if your footage is cut among other smooth footage.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2003, 01:38 PM   #19
Old Boot

Thanks Ken. I've never come across this term before.
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2003, 05:34 PM   #20
New Boot

Concert done already

Hi,
I was just wondering if the concert had already taken place and how the results were with hat settings?
I tried to do the same thing on my very first night out with the camera (ok, I had put everything on automatic, it was only a test) but the results were far from what I had hoped for.
Peter Dorr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2003, 09:22 PM   #21
Regular Crew

Yea me too wondering how concert turned out.
Ive only done one concert that was actually in a cinema. I used two borrowed cameras and it turned into a blundering nightmare! Firstly the 'spare' camera was set on a tripod at wide angle. I selected low light mode, and autofocus. This was great with the lighting before the show. But when the show started and there were human faces on stage, they were all over exposed, white blobs, and i should have used 'spotlite mode'.
Incidentally this worked a treat on the sony vdx2000 i had borrowed for use as the main camera. Only wish i had white ballanced it before hand, tho was ok. Audio. I had planned to use a mini disk as a sound source, i checked the levels when the music was on before the show, and they were fine. However when the show started all of the volumes were turned up louder, and i ended up having to use the audio from the camera!
With hindsight id say, use auto focus, and auto levels for your audio, if your results are important, unless you are able to monitor it, are comfortable with it, or have someone else to help out. I like the idea of having a spare camera left alone on auto, so if you mess up the clever shots you have something to fall back on. Shame id set up the spare camera wrong!
Old December 31st, 2003, 11:43 AM   #22
Major Player

You can see a sample of XM2 on night outdoors concert and can compare with two other cameras:
(the compression isnīt very good)

See it on browser http://www.def3ct.com/federico/videos/haro.htm

Download it http://www.def3ct.com/federico/videos/hdsl.wmv

All the shots that look from down below were done with my XM2.
Exposure and Aperture manual, auto white balance.

All the On-stage shot were done with a really smal miniDv from panasonic... (donīt know the model) fully auto...

All the Far-Wide Shots... were done with a Panasonic DVX-100, I donīt know the settings.

Since the light changed so much and so often.. I underexposed the XM2 a bit to avoid a lot of "burned" whites, for some reason that day I thouhgt Iīd preffer to loose the shadow details than the highlight details.. It was impossible to have both.. and the plans were to correct on post... but...
I didnīt edit the footage... and Iīm 120% sure that no color correction or deinterlace or anything was donde to the image, so thatīs pretty much how it looks raw (and compressed).
Old December 31st, 2003, 11:54 AM   #23
Old Boot

Excellent comparison test. Thanks for taking the time to post.

Grazie
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2003, 12:16 PM   #24
Major Player

<<<-- Originally posted by Graham Bernard : Excellent comparison test. Thanks for taking the time to post.

Grazie -->>>
No problem at all.. For me the problem to post is not a matter of time.. but a matter of space... WEBSPACE...

Iīd love to upload a whole bunch of shooting Iīve done with the XM2... and have it discussed, but at this moment I canīt afford more webspace.

But in 2004 I hope stuff comes better for me (and for all of you too) so we can do a whole lot of posting...
Old December 31st, 2003, 12:20 PM   #25
Trustee

I wanna know who this well known artist is you shot???

How did the shoot go by the way?

Murph
Old December 31st, 2003, 12:41 PM   #26
Major Player

Thatīs a band called H from La Rioja here in Spain... They are a new band so at this time they are nobodys struggling up... (like me).
There were 5 bands that night.. Including the BIG one.. Itīs called Macaco.. but I didnīt want to post a part of them because, they, and their agent were a little "Stars" that night, so I donīt want any problems with Labels... Besides I like H music better...

The shooting was very good... it was the first time I tested my XM2 in live event... And it performed like I expected (love my Generic Brand big battery, It lasted more than 7 hours). The low light performance was not as bad as I thought... It is actually pretty good. And besides a little weird issue with the grip zoom (thereīs a thread about it here)..overall Iīd say it was an A day.
Old January 6th, 2004, 09:08 AM   #27
Major Player

My experience in doing camera work for concerts is mixed. Some groups will have a "stage wash" of white light which helps getting a good video image. Other groups have light directors who are more theatrical and use large color washes and dramatic lighting cues. Its hard to get good images with a smaller chip camera especially, when there's low light, and its all red as well.

One of the other arguments to using manual aperture is that light levels will jump, and if the camera is in auto iris, you'll get blooming or hot spots and the iris will adjust a lot.

Talk to the lighting guy before hand and find out what kind of light show they have. If you can. Can you get into he space ahead of time? Do you have more han one camera?

good luck!

Jeff Patnaude
Jeff Patnaude is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders