DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon GL Series DV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-gl-series-dv-camcorders/)
-   -   Best camera compered to gl2 sub $1000? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-gl-series-dv-camcorders/17782-best-camera-compered-gl2-sub-1000-a.html)

Dave Turner December 1st, 2003 12:20 PM

Best camera compered to gl2 sub $1000?

I've been looking around and really like the gl2. This will be my first dv camera purchase and am wondering if there is a good camera that compares to the gl2 that is less than $1000? I know I would be happy with the gl2 but I'm not sure I can justify the price. Thanks,

Jason Casey December 1st, 2003 03:17 PM

I don't think you will be able to find a good 3-CCD camera for under $1000. that is probably one of the biggest diffrences in the GL2 and the sub-$1000 consumer cameras. If you can afford it I would definately go with the Gl2, you will be VERY happy with it.
I used to do lots of shoots with $500-$800 panansonic 1-chip mini DV cameras, I then bought a GL2 and was absolutely amazed and the quality diffrence.

Nicholi Brossia December 1st, 2003 07:39 PM

You might want to check out the Canon Optura 20. It is a great camera. They usually cost around $800 right now, so its definately under $1000. There is also the Canon Optura XI. Its a bit more money, but looks to be an excellent camcorder - basically the GL2's single ccd little brother. It even has 16x9 mode and a manual focus ring. Usually local electronics stores (Best Buy, Circuit City) will have demos for you to look at and try out... then if you like it, buy one from B&H or Zotz. That way you'll get a hands-on feel for the camera, but not have to pay the outrageous local store prices.

Chris Hurd December 1st, 2003 08:26 PM

Actually there is one very big difference that sets the Optura Xi in an entirely different league from the Optura 20... and that's the RGB color filter. The RGB color filter is what gives a 1-chip cam that "3-chip look." Yes, it's priced around $1500, or twice the cost of the 20, but you'll see the difference immediately. I would not say that the 20 is a good sub-$1000 alternative to the GL2. The color reproduction just isn't there, sorry. As far as I'm concerned, there is no such thing in that price range. But if you can swing the cost of the Xi or the somewhat less expensive Optura 300, then you'll have what is very close to 3-chip performance. Hope this helps,

Dave Turner December 1st, 2003 08:58 PM

Thanks guys, I have a feeling if I buy a $800 camera I'm going to want the gl2 within a couple of months. So, I should probable just bite the bullet and get it now. I am a little afraid canon has something new around the corner.

Jeff Price December 2nd, 2003 11:11 AM

Another option is to go used. You should be able to pick up a used GL1 for around a $1000 or less (and I'm still thinking of selling mine). In many cases these are still workable cameras but the owners just moved up to a GL2.

Anthony Meluso December 3rd, 2003 10:46 PM

If you check Ebay you can find it for $1200 - $1500 brand new in box and everything. Check it out.

Nuno Vasconcelos January 22nd, 2004 05:08 PM

panasonics gs100 .... gl2 quality for half the price

Evan Kubota February 4th, 2004 05:39 PM

PV-DV953... not the same quality but not far off, in good lighting conditions.

http://www4.big.or.jp/~a_haru/0208_3CCD.html

953 images are on the right. GL2 are directly to their left.

Thom Hemler February 8th, 2004 05:08 PM

Just bought a GL2

Dave,

If you can afford it, buy the GL2. I did so finally last week after pondering the 3 vs. 1 ccd and then PV-DV953 vs. GLS. BTW-bought through Beach for $1950 before rebate.

I went the GL2 primarily due to better low-light performance and 20x optical vs. 10. $700 is a lot to pay for these features, but what good is a camera you can't use for home vidoes? My primary use will be indoor and outdoor sporting events. Shot 1st video this wkd. @ basketball game under flourescent light. Wow, what a difference vs. my PV-DV51 shooting in auto w/ man. white bal., C.O. F-D filter & D.O. .5x wide angle converter. Very professional result on my 1st try. Can't wait to learn how to use in manual.

Good luck!

Kyle Kauss February 11th, 2004 09:44 AM

doesn't sony have a 3ccd for like $1400

Johann Adler February 11th, 2004 05:50 PM

Yes,

Its called the TRV-950 and its very good IMO. I would definitely put that on my list.

Thom Hemler February 11th, 2004 10:39 PM

Sony TRV-950 vs GL2

You can now get the TRV-950 around $1400, but it is rated below the GL2 in most categories. Here' the link to the review that influenced my decision the most: http://www.camcorderinfo.com/content/canon_gl2_camcorder_review.htm

The TRV2000 is rated equivalently or better in some ways, but is much higher priced @>$2500. One review I read compared the two w/ Pana. PV-DV953 and rated GL2 the best value. Couldn't find the link on this one.