Best camera compered to gl2 sub $1000? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old December 1st, 2003, 12:20 PM   #1
Tourist

Best camera compered to gl2 sub $1000?

I've been looking around and really like the gl2. This will be my first dv camera purchase and am wondering if there is a good camera that compares to the gl2 that is less than $1000? I know I would be happy with the gl2 but I'm not sure I can justify the price. Thanks,
Dave Turner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2003, 03:17 PM   #2
Regular Crew

I don't think you will be able to find a good 3-CCD camera for under $1000. that is probably one of the biggest diffrences in the GL2 and the sub-$1000 consumer cameras. If you can afford it I would definately go with the Gl2, you will be VERY happy with it.
I used to do lots of shoots with $500-$800 panansonic 1-chip mini DV cameras, I then bought a GL2 and was absolutely amazed and the quality diffrence.

www.jcmediaservices.com
www.kickbacktracks.com
Royalty Free Video Production Loops!
Jason Casey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2003, 07:39 PM   #3
Major Player

You might want to check out the Canon Optura 20. It is a great camera. They usually cost around $800 right now, so its definately under $1000. There is also the Canon Optura XI. Its a bit more money, but looks to be an excellent camcorder - basically the GL2's single ccd little brother. It even has 16x9 mode and a manual focus ring. Usually local electronics stores (Best Buy, Circuit City) will have demos for you to look at and try out... then if you like it, buy one from B&H or Zotz. That way you'll get a hands-on feel for the camera, but not have to pay the outrageous local store prices.
Old December 1st, 2003, 08:26 PM   #4
Obstreperous Rex

Actually there is one very big difference that sets the Optura Xi in an entirely different league from the Optura 20... and that's the RGB color filter. The RGB color filter is what gives a 1-chip cam that "3-chip look." Yes, it's priced around $1500, or twice the cost of the 20, but you'll see the difference immediately. I would not say that the 20 is a good sub-$1000 alternative to the GL2. The color reproduction just isn't there, sorry. As far as I'm concerned, there is no such thing in that price range. But if you can swing the cost of the Xi or the somewhat less expensive Optura 300, then you'll have what is very close to 3-chip performance. Hope this helps,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2003, 08:58 PM   #5
Tourist

Thanks guys, I have a feeling if I buy a $800 camera I'm going to want the gl2 within a couple of months. So, I should probable just bite the bullet and get it now. I am a little afraid canon has something new around the corner.
Dave Turner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2003, 11:11 AM   #6
Major Player

Another option is to go used. You should be able to pick up a used GL1 for around a $1000 or less (and I'm still thinking of selling mine). In many cases these are still workable cameras but the owners just moved up to a GL2.
Jeff Price is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2003, 10:46 PM   #7
Regular Crew

If you check Ebay you can find it for $1200 - $1500 brand new in box and everything. Check it out.
Anthony Meluso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2004, 05:08 PM   #8
Tourist

panasonics gs100 .... gl2 quality for half the price
Nuno Vasconcelos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2004, 05:39 PM   #9
Regular Crew

PV-DV953... not the same quality but not far off, in good lighting conditions.

http://www4.big.or.jp/~a_haru/0208_3CCD.html

953 images are on the right. GL2 are directly to their left.
Evan Kubota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2004, 05:08 PM   #10
New Boot

Just bought a GL2

Dave,

If you can afford it, buy the GL2. I did so finally last week after pondering the 3 vs. 1 ccd and then PV-DV953 vs. GLS. BTW-bought through Beach for $1950 before rebate.

I went the GL2 primarily due to better low-light performance and 20x optical vs. 10. $700 is a lot to pay for these features, but what good is a camera you can't use for home vidoes? My primary use will be indoor and outdoor sporting events. Shot 1st video this wkd. @ basketball game under flourescent light. Wow, what a difference vs. my PV-DV51 shooting in auto w/ man. white bal., C.O. F-D filter & D.O. .5x wide angle converter. Very professional result on my 1st try. Can't wait to learn how to use in manual.

Good luck!
Old February 11th, 2004, 09:44 AM   #11
Regular Crew

doesn't sony have a 3ccd for like $1400
Kyle Kauss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2004, 05:50 PM   #12
Regular Crew

Yes,

Its called the TRV-950 and its very good IMO. I would definitely put that on my list.
Johann Adler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2004, 10:39 PM   #13
New Boot

Sony TRV-950 vs GL2

You can now get the TRV-950 around $1400, but it is rated below the GL2 in most categories. Here' the link to the review that influenced my decision the most: http://www.camcorderinfo.com/content/canon_gl2_camcorder_review.htm

The TRV2000 is rated equivalently or better in some ways, but is much higher priced @>$2500. One review I read compared the two w/ Pana. PV-DV953 and rated GL2 the best value. Couldn't find the link on this one.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders