Sand Snow setting.. What is happening technically? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old December 25th, 2003, 09:41 PM   #1
New Boot

Sand Snow setting.. What is happening technically?

I'm interested in whether I should use the Sand/Snow setting on the GL-2 and what it's actually is doing. I understand the ND filter adds a real filter to the optical system for example. Just curious if there is an advantage to use it or should I compensate with something else like exposure, filter, etc. I regularly use a polarizer and shoot in AE or shutter priority. Nothing shows on search- probably too basic a question. Steve
Steve Luhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2003, 09:56 PM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

The Sand/Snow program mode is actually just the opposite of the Spotlight mode. Basically it's just the way the camcorder is metering the image. Spotlight mode exposes for the center of the image only and ignores how *dark* the surrounding areas are. Sand/Snow mode exposes for the center of the image only and ignores how *bright* the surrounding areas are. I think your best bet is to continue shooting Full Manual, Aperture priority (AV) or Shutter priority (TV) for better overall control of the image. Hope this helps,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2003, 03:07 PM   #3
New Boot

Chris,

Could you amplify your comments. If I were to be shooting a backyard pool scene with my son in the Pool on a bright sonny day, What settings might I use?

Which is better to use in snow Apeture or Shutter manually and at what settings?

Thanks,

Phil
Phillip Coolman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2003, 11:02 AM   #4
New Boot

Chris, that was clear as a bell. Simple enough, just not mentioned in the manual. Thanks. I don't see a good use for it at this point in my short video life. Steve
Steve Luhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2004, 11:28 AM   #5
Regular Crew

question about "sand & snow" mode?

Does anyone know if the shutter speed changes or is fixed in sand and snow mode, and if it is fixed what speed it is fixed at? I'm sure the aperature varies depending on the available light.
Old January 12th, 2004, 04:16 AM   #6
RED Code Chef

Frank, I merged your new thread (your question) into this already
existing thread to keep the clutter of multiple threads reduced.

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders