GL2 Rugged? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old December 30th, 2003, 11:07 PM   #1
New Boot

GL2 Rugged?

Just wondering how rugged the GL2 would be mounted on the handle bars of a motorcyle or on an atv. I have used my small sony micro-mv mounted on the bars of my bike and it worked ok. The stabilization took out most of the jitter but it is alot smaller and lighter. Has anyone ever done anything like this?
Tim D Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2003, 11:32 PM   #2
Regular Crew

I skied with it last year at Blackcomb and had no problems. I'm going up again Sunday for a week and will check back in on my return if something untoward occurs.
Sandy
Alexander McLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2003, 05:44 PM   #3
Trustee

My experience with a GL-1 that I have had for two years is that its not that rugged. The bottom tripod mount area is plastic and recently broke off. I didn't do anything really stupid to make it happen. I put it back together with super glue but this is only a temporary fix until I can send it back to Canon to replace the plastic bottom of the cam. This probably would not have happened if it had a magnesium shell/frame like some of the other cams or a really THICK plastic bottom.

That's why I am now thoroughly impressed when I see an exploded / sectional photo of a cam that shows a substantial metal framework.

Regards,

Mark
Mark Williams is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders