Where do you guys put the GL2 after use? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old December 31st, 2003, 08:51 AM   #1
Major Player

Where do you guys put the GL2 after use?

Where do you people usually put the GL2 after you're done using it? My question is after shooting, will putting the GL2 in a case be okay? Is it ever too hot/cold for the gl2 in the case or elsewhere?
David Ho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2003, 10:27 AM   #2
Major Player

Take out the tape, take off the battery and set it on a shelf in a closet. Sometimes I leave it in its soft case (think Kata bag or equivalent), sometimes I don't.
Jeff Price is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2003, 11:26 AM   #3
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

My GL2 "lives" in its Porta Brace case when not in use. Keep it in a dry, cool-ish place safe from physical hazards and protected from dust.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2003, 03:33 PM   #4

what would i prevent by taking out the tape and battery after use?
are there any routine things that you all clean or care for on your gl2s also?
Old December 31st, 2003, 03:42 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Well I...

I never let it go - it`s always in my hands... my cammie... my XM2 is MY PRECIOUS !!!

Yeah... that sums it up for me ;) My precious !

When it`s absolutely necessary to put it somewhere I gently tuck it into improvised bag I made which later goes into special safe made out af titanium alloy guarded by AI sentinels armed with dozen miniguns :)) No one will take MY PRECIOUS from me !
Mike Ostracky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2003, 03:48 PM   #6
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Removing the tape between long idle periods (1+ days) precents it from becoming permanently deformed by being threaded through the transport. Removing the main battery is not as important but it will prevent it from gradually draining.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2004, 05:20 AM   #7
Major Player

How about where to put for the accessories? I usually leave my UV filter on and same with the lens hood, they will both be encased in the kata bag. Where should I put the DM-50 microphone? Is it safe to just put it into the kata bag also, will it cause any damage to it? (is there any default small bag/case/muff for the DM-50 mic?)
David Ho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2004, 02:10 PM   #8
Regular Crew

As I mentioned in another thread, I purchased the Canon System Case (HC-4100) when I recently bought my GL2. It's got plenty of room for the camera, and several storage sections for accessories. Since it's a hard case, it may not be the most convenient to use during a remote shoot -- but I feel comfortable knowing that the camera is securely protected when I'm not using it.
Jim OMalley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2004, 09:02 AM   #9
New Boot

Simple...Pelican 1520 with the 1527 soft pack insert. Took a few modifications on the dividers but works like a charm!!!
Danny Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2004, 10:00 AM   #10
Wrangler

I store my GL-2s and other electronics in a large safe that I have. Probably overkill, but I was a little paranoid when I first moved to New York City.

On the other hand it gives me really good peace of mind.
Michael Wisniewski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2004, 07:16 PM   #11
Regular Crew

my sits on a little shelf next to my monitor so i can look at it :)
Joel Ruggiero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2004, 12:39 PM   #12
New Boot

I keep mine in a hard case with a bunch of little silica packets
Anthony Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2004, 10:36 PM   #13

mine sits in a hard case, identical to the one canon sells, and made by the same manufacturer. but mine was only 20 bucks at lowes... it is identical though, a buddy bought the canon case online and was livid to see how inexpensive mine was.
Old January 23rd, 2004, 11:46 PM   #14
Trustee

I keep all my cameras in their respective backpacks in large sealable plastic boxes with dihumidifiers. Although this may not be necessary where you are David here in Japan it gets very humid during summer and the sealable boxes and dehumidifiers prevent any mold forming on my lenses/electronics.
Adrian Douglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2004, 02:58 AM   #15
Major Player

Dehumidifiers eh? I am thinking of getting an air filter/dust filter for my room because my room/office is very stuffy and feels like it has a lot of dust/dirt accumulation on often times. I guess this would somewhat be beneficial to the electronic appliances and just overall health of the camcorder and me!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders