The Ferrite Cores??? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old January 6th, 2004, 07:28 PM   #1
Regular Crew

The Ferrite Cores???

I just bought a new XM2 yesterday. The first paragraph in the manual says I should attach these two Ferrite Cores to some video cables. I remember doing this on my orginal XL1 but not on my replacement XL1s.

So, I don't really know what they are for. I guess they're for stopping some sort of electrical interference.

The manual only says that they must be attached to comply with the Technical requirements of EMC Directive.

Why don't Canon automatically attach them? Or, is there a benefit to leaving them off? or does the manufacturer say attach them for "Legal Reasons"?
Andrew Hogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2004, 10:09 PM   #2
New Boot

I had a old telephone that picked up FM radio interference once. I put one on the phone cord and it actually eliminated the problem 90%.

It is probably cheaper for them to have you put them on, because they don't give them to everybody.

Cheers,
-B
Brian Klug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2004, 05:18 PM   #3
Major Player

I have a GL2 but haven't read anything about Ferrite Cores. Am I missing something?
Old January 7th, 2004, 10:35 PM   #4
Warden

They may reduce RF that causes interference. Some countries may require that certain device accept the interference caused by RF or minimize the RF. Not all products, in all countries, will require the ferrite cores. The FCC, in the United States, may not require this level of protection, for the GL1/GL2. Regulations in other countries may differ.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2004, 10:51 PM   #5
Major Player

Not sure but I think the cores work in both directions. It may be that the GL2 power supply induces more noise than is acceptable for the standards in your country but not others.
Rob Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2004, 10:54 PM   #6
Warden

Ferrite cores do indeed work in both directions. My post is a little ambiguous. The effectiveness on some types of interference is debatable.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders