Difference between ZR-1000 and the GL2 Remote? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old January 12th, 2004, 08:28 PM   #1
Major Player

Difference between ZR-1000 and the GL2 Remote?

What's the difference between the two? I know if you buy the GL2, it comes with a remote that also has some buttons (zoom, record) etc... which one is better? The ZR-1000 seems to be quite expensive for a controller... I think it would be better just to use to one that came with the GL2?
Old January 12th, 2004, 09:03 PM   #2
Trustee

The remote included with the camcorder is a wireless one with some limited features, like fixed zoom speed. With the ZR-1000, wich is a wired one, using the LANC protocol, you can have some more flexibility like variable zoom speed and focus control. It can be fixed to the pan/tilt handle of your tripod.
Old January 13th, 2004, 01:52 AM   #3
Old Boot

Ho yes!

Sometime in the not too distant past, one chap had "adapted" the remote to be used as a type of controller. It was a natty concept. But you still had the tiny buttons and things. Try a search hereabouts or someone else will jump in with the link . . it was truly a very interesting use of lateral thinking. Personally, I got the Canon LANC and I'm very happy with it. IMHO it doesn't "feel" as robust as the more expensive ones. Can't remember the Canon catalogue/part number -Ah yes it was the ZR-1000 . . However, I've found a real need for one. It works. What I've also done is use the LANC controller "off" tripod handle. This gives more stability. However, when I need to have the LANC controller on the tripod handle I just thumb screw it back on - very quick! I suppose I could manufacture a "quick" snap type if fixing . .

Grazie
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2004, 09:22 AM   #4
Major Player

Hmm.. right now, I don't have enough $$$ to purchase the ZR-1000 as I probably will in the near future. So for the next few short movies I am doing, I will be shooting them on tripod and hand, but I will be carefully using a combo of handheld controls and the remote.... although I would prefer the ZR-1000 (layout looks nice), but I guess it'll do. The only thing that I wanted the ZR-1000 is because I can easily zoom in, record without having to touch the camera, which could cause sound when I record, but it is easy to work around that by just recording earlier and unrecording the footage at a later time in the scene (just takes up more tape space!)..
Old January 14th, 2004, 05:12 AM   #5
Wrangler

Try an off-camcorder mic to avoid the sounds of handling/touching the camcorder. Also, getting the mic closer to the talent usually results in better sound.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders