Condensation? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old January 21st, 2004, 05:00 AM   #1
Major Player

Condensation?

What happens if your GL2 is outside in the cold for a long time or what not? This has not been an issue for me, but I have always thought of buying electronical equipment online, but then if they deliver and drop it off at my door, I am afraid maybe the cold air is too cold for the camera and could cause damage even if the camera is INSIDE a sealed and factory box... What could happen to the camera if it gets the condensation factor?
Old January 21st, 2004, 05:25 AM   #2
Outer Circle

Naa. I wouldn't worry unless it's below freezing. Why would you want a cam to be delivered in such a way? That's crazy to have it left at your door. Don't you want to sign for it?
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2004, 07:30 AM   #3
Major Player

I would think that the manufacturer must keep that in mind in the design phase of his product. The min/max operating temps are usually in fairly narrow band BUT the min/max storage temps are usually quite a bit wider. This would accomodate the shipment by what ever means, not limited to: Container on a Container Ship, Semi Trailer, and eventually the familiar (also unheated in the rear) UPS van.

As long as your gear is given a chance to acclimate to a temperature that is within it's operating band, you should be safe.
Rob Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2004, 03:38 PM   #4
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

David,
Looks like you found something new to worry about! <g> Just ribbing you.

Condensation is a serious matter to be avoided.

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...threadid=19869

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2004, 04:36 PM   #5
Major Player

HAH! Yes, Ken... I am an extreme worrier, but better to be safe than sorry! I'm just taking the most extensive precautions! :-)

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders