GL-2 Rebate check?? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old January 28th, 2004, 04:24 PM   #16
Regular Crew

The rebate web site is rebateshq.com
Jim OMalley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2004, 04:58 PM   #17
Regular Crew

exactly what I needed. Thanks.
http://www.udpride.com
Chris Rieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2004, 05:03 PM   #18
Regular Crew

My rebate was sent in the 1st Nov. No check as of yet. They like to play with your money I think also for 12 weeks.

Steve
Steve Olds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2004, 10:17 AM   #19
Regular Crew

Is Canon strict about having to purchase from an "authorized dealer", as stated on the rebate form, to qualify for the rebate?

I see many unauthorized online dealers advertising the rebate.

In fact, one dealer I called claimed he was a Canon authorized dealer, but when I called Canon (the 800 number is on the rebate form), they said he was not! What if I had purchased a GL2 from them?

This is off topic but I thought I'd sneak it in..

Canons phone support was excellent!
- No long waits to speak to a live person
- They always introduced themselves, name and organization.
- The people I spoke with knew what they were talking about or transferred me to the correct person (on the first try)
- Whenever I was transferred, the transferor would introduce me to the transferee.
- When done, they always thanked me for using Canon.

I was really impressed. Very professional.
Ming Dong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2004, 12:34 AM   #20
Regular Crew

"Is Canon strict about having to purchase from an "authorized dealer", as stated on the rebate form, to qualify for the rebate?"

Don't think so, as when I read the rebate form it said just that it had to be a brand new GL2 bought between Jan. 31 and whatever the end date was - sometime in April AFAIK? It did not mention an authorized dealer. Also, they have no way of checking this from the UPC - it's not like authorized dealers receive "special" or different UPCs.
Evan Kubota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2004, 06:58 AM   #21
Regular Crew

Unfortunately, the GL2 rebate form I printed from Canon's website, http://www.canondv.com/promotions/index.html, states in the Terms and Conditions:

"Only purchases by an end-user customer from an Authorized Canon USA Digital Video Dealer in the 50 United States are valid."

And you must include “…a COPY of the sales receipt from an Authorized Canon USA Digital Video Dealer with store name and purchase date…”
Ming Dong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2004, 04:04 PM   #22
Regular Crew

Im not sure if I bought mine at a Canon authorized dealer or not, but it was approved and after a week of waiting I got an email from the rebate folks saying I should receive the rebate in 30 days. They also said it wont come in an envelope but rather an index card. I usually pitch those, I hope I didnt already pitch it.
Old February 8th, 2004, 06:43 PM   #23
Major Player

Just got mine. Regular looking check in an envelope. Had to wait from mid-Sept to Feb 7. That stinks. But at least I got it. Especially good because I had already spent the funds on a glidecam :)
Bill Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2004, 11:03 PM   #24
Regular Crew

I got mine last week. It comes in an envelope with RebatesHQ as the return address so look out for that. The timing for mine was they received my rebate on Sep. 10 and I was sent the rebate on Jan. 28. I'm just glad it came so no complaints here.
Lathe Austin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2004, 01:14 PM   #25
Major Player

My rebate was processed at 1/17/2004 and now it is in the "final" stages, or so it says at rebateshq.com. Also, I have not recieved the email notice either. The only way I knew that my rebate was even still existant was by rebateshq.com. Do you guys know if they send out the e-mail prior to recieving the check meaning, they'll eventually send me one, or do they also send one prior to being PROCESSED or notified that my rebate IS processed/in final stages.... ?
Old February 9th, 2004, 01:20 PM   #26
Regular Crew

The email I received was in response to an email I sent on the rebatshq web site asking about where my rebate was. I think the site said responses would be 24-48hrs but I didnt get one until about a week later, just basically saying in a generic sort of way that I should receive it in 30 days or so and that it would not come in an envelope -- which is weird because everyone else is saying theirs came in an envelope.
Old February 9th, 2004, 02:04 PM   #27
Regular Crew

DO NOT BUY FROM A NON AUTHORISED DEALER!

Canon is VERY Strict about buying from an authorised dealer. I put up a long post about this simetime ago. There are many places that are offering the rebate even though they are NOT a authorised dealer. You WILL NOT get your rebate if you don't buy from an authorised dealer! I talked on the phone with Canon directly about this on many occasions gefore buting my GL2 a while back. I had them check out a few places that were offering unbelievable prices on the GL2 after the rebates. Canon said that these places were not authorised Canon dealers and that if I tried to get the rebate if I bought the camera form them I would NOT get it! If you call one of these dealers they will try to tell you that it doesn't matter that they are not a authorised dealer but they are WRONG! To be sure ask them when you call if they will be willing to give you a refund for the rebate price if your rebatie is declined and I can guarantee that not a single one of them will! If the deal sounds too good to be true it is!

www.jcmediaservices.com
www.kickbacktracks.com
Royalty Free Video Production Loops!
Jason Casey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2004, 06:15 PM   #28
Regular Crew

Too late now, I already ordered and it will be here tomorrow. My credit card company will sic its lawyers on the store if my rebate doesn't go through.

"If the deal sounds too good to be true it is!"

In this case, $1699 after rebate did not sound too good to be true. It seemed like a reasonable price, especially given that some authorized dealers are within $100 of that.
Evan Kubota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2004, 01:17 PM   #29
Regular Crew

Sorry to have to say this, but I doubt that credit card companies are going to get in a legal battle with a store that you didn't check out before you bought something at. I'd check out the store with Canon, if they aren't an authorised dealer I would call them and let them know and tell them you want to return the camera for a full refund, then buy one from a licenced dealer.

www.jcmediaservices.com
www.kickbacktracks.com
Royalty Free Video Production Loops!
Jason Casey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2004, 01:36 PM   #30
Regular Crew

Considering that the store says the rebate is valid on their site, the credit card company does not have much of a choice besides to go into battle. Who knows, maybe the rebate will go through and all of this is moot.

What's the best price from an authorized dealer, and what exactly does authorization consist of? What benefits, etc. are there?
Evan Kubota is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders