XL1 + GL1 anybody have both? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old October 23rd, 2001, 11:18 AM   #1
Machinist Mate

XL1 + GL1 anybody have both?

Anybody out there own both a GL1 and an XL1? Car to comment on the relative performance, etc.? I have an XL and am thinking about a GL for second camera or on shoots where size, portability, conspicuousness etc. is a factor.

Thanks!
Old October 26th, 2001, 06:12 AM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

I used both cameras on a shoot recently, and have found that video from each matches together very well, seamlessly in fact, as long as the lighting is good.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2001, 05:12 PM   #3
New Boot

We use both of the camera's. We shoot alot of Paintball events, the GL-1 is great because of it's small size as we like to get in the field but under the flying paintballs. The image stabilization isn't as good as the XL-1. As far as image quality goes, I can't honestly say I can tell a difference.

-Brad
Brad_DeWees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2001, 05:34 PM   #4
Obstreperous Rex

The GL1 image stabilization *should* be as good as the XL1... it's the exact same Canon optical image stabilization technology.

Old November 6th, 2001, 12:12 PM   #5
New Boot

I believe you may be wrong.
This is straight from Canon's website:
Until now, optical image stabilizers have used solely a gyro sensor to detect camcorder vibration (the data from which controls a vari-angle prism that continuously corrects the path of the incoming light). SuperRange goes one step further by examining the image after it is received by the CCD, and detecting low-frequency vibrations missed by the gyro. This data is fed-back to accelerate and refine the movement of the vari-angle prism. This greatly improves performance for low frequency vibration, resulting in the most advanced optical image stabilization available today.

In either case, if you're not using a tripod, the shouldering of the XL-1 seems to provide a more stable shot than hand holding the GL-1
Old November 6th, 2001, 01:36 PM   #6
Obstreperous Rex

Well, I'll find out for sure from Canon next week at COMDEX. I'll be helping out in their booth, and the Director of Video Technology will be there, so I'll ask him if the OIS is the same in the XL1 and GL1. I really think it is; don't see how it could differ.

Old November 6th, 2001, 03:03 PM   #7
New Boot

Sounds good, have fun out there.
Old November 6th, 2001, 04:18 PM   #8
Wrangler

The XL1 has the "image movement vector" listed as part of it's OIS, the GL1 does not. Thus I believe that the GL1 lacks the very low frequency shake stabilization of the XL1. A quick test would to see if the GL1 has the same amount of lag in a pan as the XL1 when OIS is enabled.
Don Palomaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2001, 07:51 PM   #9
Regular Crew

I had both and they mach very well ti I sold my XL1 to get the XL1s and they are way off. The XL1S looks like grap.

DpsVelocity Editor
XL1S & GL1
Mark Chiocchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2001, 09:44 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Comparing cameras...

I have really enjoyed the GL-1 and as most people was just waiting to make a few extra bucks to upgrade. Bought the XL-1S and have not really seen anything worth the price difference. Currently having a problem that I am working with Canon on, but I have posted a couple samples from both cameras on a website. Feel free to check'em out.

http://www.azuho.com/waveform/camtest.html

Anyone else done any comparing of the GL-1 to either the XL-1 or the XL-1S?

Should never have gotten rid of my old JVC KY-27, but Christ! Try lugging that into the field for an 8 hour day of quail hunting. Swear that thing loaded was 30 pounds...well it felt like it.
Old October 4th, 2003, 06:52 AM   #11
Regular Crew

I own an XL1 and GL1 and have noticed a nice level of similar quality shots.

However, I have noticed that I can increase the quality of the shot with the XL1 by using the manual lens. It seems a bit crisper.

I wasn't a fan of the manual when we first got it but a little use and you can notice a clarity difference.

Other than that, the GL1 is a great, lightweight alternative for on location filming. I use it as my backup camera just in case anything should happen to go wrong with the XL1.
www.cmweston.com
Cary Weston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2003, 07:23 AM   #12
Capt. Quirk

I had the XL1s and the GL1. Found the images to be so very close, that the footage could be blended back and forth, no problem. The only snag, was if they weren't both white balanced to the exact same source. Then you would have some differences in the picture.
K. Forman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2003, 02:27 PM   #13
Regular Crew

I have the xl1, xl1s, gl1 and the gl2 . The gl1 and gl2 has a sharper image and does very well in low light conditions. I feel the gl2 and xl1s seem to have a richer colors versus the older models. I shoot mostly weddings and I use the gl1 and 2 from the back because you can zoom in more and have a clearer picture versus the xl1 and xl1s which has a softer image. I also shoot everything in frame mode so it has a documentary look to the video and if you white balanced the camera correctly, they are very similiar in looks.
I just added the dvx100 and I am still playing with it so can't really comment yet on it.
BJ Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2003, 01:00 PM   #14
Machinist Mate

Well, after all that, I went ahead and got the GL (pretty good price because it was being discontinued) and so far its footage intercuts beautifully with the XL. Obviously white balancing them to the same light. Often I'll leave the XL on the sticks locked down on the stage or podium wile I run around doing B-roll, audience reaction shots etc. with the GL.
Clearly the GL lacks the professional features, but it brings "run & gun" to a new level. I can pull it out of its PortaBrace and cram it into my soft-side briefcase and make discreet entrances to media-shy venues.
Can't wait to try out a GL2, but then that new Panny is awfully tempting for just a few bucks more.

Michael Rosenberger, I liked your comparo-shots and am all the more convinced the GL was a good buy. LOL about the old 30 Lb. JVC! I'll have to look you up next time I'm in AZ.
Old October 31st, 2003, 04:07 PM   #15
Regular Crew

I know you've already made your decision Mike, but a couple more comments....

I've found the GL2 to be quite a bit better in low light than the XL1.

Also, if you're shooting for DVD's, the GL2 fill the frame instead of leaving black bars on both sides like the XL1.

I'm still amazed a camera as small and inexpensive as the GL2 can perform to the level it does.

Mike Avery
Mike Avery is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders