GL2 tape playback problem. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old February 5th, 2004, 07:48 PM   #1
Tourist

911, need advice fast.

Ok, here´s the scoop. I´m in Patagonia for 5 months making flyfishing videos throughout chile and argentina. I´ve collected some outstanding video but my gl2 isn´t functioning right.

On my latest recorded tapes I´ve noticed that when there played back for review on the gl2 there are grey bars horizontally stacked over the recorded footage. three tapes are having similar problems. some of the tapes have horizontal bars of previous footage over the current playing footage.

The last time my gl2 recorded correctly was two days previous in a rain storm. the footage all through the rain storm came out perfect but the last time I used it all my tapes came out disstorted. the camera body was kept very dry with a kata rain cover but I think moisture might be the problem.

anyways, I need to know if someone has had a similar problem? what the problem might be? and if the footage is lost or can it be saved? I´m in a real pinch here. the expedition needs to push on and we can´t do it without a camera. Please respond with any sollutions as soon as possible.

can someone save my ass?

mucho gracias,

chris
Chris Owens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2004, 08:00 PM   #2
Warden

It's either dirty playback heads, dirty record heads, or both. The only way to confirm which is to playback the tapes in another camera and check for the bars. Try running a cleaning tape through the camera (follow the directions with the tape exactely to the letter) and that should take care of the dirty heads. If I had to guess, I would say the high humidity probably contibuted to the problem.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2004, 08:00 PM   #3
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Chris,
Sorry to hear of your trouble, particularly in such a remote place. Yes, we've heard of this problem with a variety of cameras.

If you have a cleaning tape in your kit, run it through (per it's directions) once or twice (no more). If you're luck it will clear the problem up.

If you're not lucky your heads may have become misaligned, not a problem you can fix or that will get better. The camera will need to be serviced.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2004, 08:09 PM   #4
Major Player

Regarding the cleaning tapes.

Does it matter what brand?

Should it be the same brand as the camrea or the tapes?
Aaron Rosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2004, 08:12 PM   #5
Warden

No, the brand does not matter. This was covered recently in the Sony Forum. It was pointed out by a member that Sony had quit importing their brand and suggested that Sony suggested to him that he use another brand. It really makes no difference, just follow the directions included with the tape.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Old February 5th, 2004, 09:08 PM   #6
Tourist

thanks for the info and responding so soon guys. unfortunatly some baggage was stolen and the cleaning tape was in it. is there any other way to clean the heads, and is the footage most likely destroyed.

thanks again,

chris
Chris Owens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2004, 09:23 PM   #7
Warden

Put in a brand new tape and fast forward to the end. Put the tape in reverse search (play but in reverse). Do this for a minute or two and test record and playback. Repeat as needed, but if it doesn't clear up after 2 or 3 attempts you need more serious cleaning. Do not use the tape to record on. Do not play the old tapes if at all possible (old tapes may contaminate the heads again). If the machine had (has) dirty record heads there is nothing that can be done for the old tapes. If the playback heads are dirty then the previously recorded tapes will be fine.

Old February 6th, 2004, 01:46 AM   #8
Old Boot

Where are the bars appearing? If they are anywehre that could be croppped out in post you may have a solution. This aint a"sweet" solution to what have . .but maybe a solution to what you HAVE in the can. As to using the cammie again, IF the solutions provided above don't work, I wouldn't use the cammie again until it could be sent to the Canon Garage - yeah?

Look, you'd be amazed at what "aristic" solutions you can do in post. But if the really important "subject" is banjaxed, well you know the material you've got - yeah?

Any news team out there with a "spare" cammie you could use? Any news company or other pro that you could go begging to? Could you get a package - I'm serious - sent to you? I know and realise you are in the back of beyond, but stranger things have happened . . . . Call Canon INC and give them a real task! This could be a Customer Relation SCOOP! "Hey Guys! You wont beleeive what I've just pulled off?!?!"

. . . just some "sideways" thoughts . . . betcha gonna take a "back-up" cammie in the future - yeah?

Best regards,

Grazie
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2004, 01:04 PM   #9
Major Player

same here

Chris,
The only way I have found to keep this from happening is by using a large golf/racing style umbrella. I just built a pole that I can stick in the ground and I just adjust it to keep the shadows out of frame.

I also have the same cover for both of my cameras GL1/XL1s, and IMO it only works when the rain blows sideways and comes under the umbrella.

Sorry, I didn't offer a solution to your immediate problem but the above works for me in Alaska, and I'm sure it will work for you in South America.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders