Environmental Care and Keeping at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old February 10th, 2004, 08:52 PM   #1
Tourist

Environmental Care and Keeping

Hey,

This question has to do with humidity and weather conditions. I am filming a graduate thesis Documentary in the South Pacific for the next 6 weeks. I am pretty sure my Silica packets are useless after the 4 weeks I have been here already.

What should I do to ensure the life of my GL2 while I finish up?

I don't have consistent access to an airconditioned living space and supplies are limited. My small Sony has basically bitten the dust, it munches tapes like an '82 camaro. I can't have anything happen to the GL2.

I keep it in plastic when I am near water and try to seal it off in a large ziploc with some silica packets when I store it at night.

Any other advice??

Thanks,

Dave
David Yorio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2004, 08:59 PM   #2
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Sounds like you know how to pick a thesis topic, David!

Take a look at this set of Search results. I think you'll find plenty of great tips from folks who have had to deal with this.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2004, 09:52 PM   #3

that sounds like an incredible project, your gonna have a great time im sure! where in the south pacific are you gonna be?

i just wanted to mention that i keep my gl2 in an ewa-marine bag whenever i bring it near water (on a boat is where its used mostly) and it works really well... youll still need silica packets but maybe if youve got an address out there you could have someone mail you more after a month? maybe? im rambling...
Old November 9th, 2006, 04:57 PM   #4
New Boot

I know this thread is pretty old and the original poster has long finished his project. This reply is just to provide an idea of how to maybe have fresh packets of silica gel on an extended shoot in case someone else might be researching this.

If you keep a supply in a heavy duty zip lock bag and only take them out when your original packets are used up, the new ones should still be fairly fresh. This way you don't have to rely on someone to send you new ones or have to find a supply wherever you will be.

I have to admit I'm not a "silica gel expert." I live in West Texas where it seldom is humid enough to produce condensation on a glass of ice water, much less cause mildew in/on a camcorder. I don't see why this wouldn't work though, provided that the bag is truly water vapor proof.

I've learned a lot reading through these old posts and have enjoyed them tremendously. Maybe one day I'll be able to help answering some up-to-date questions too. I only have about 2 1/2 years of old posts to go through (no, I'm not reading every one!)

HTH,
tony
Tony Claxton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2006, 06:53 PM   #5
Sponsor: Camera Motion Research

Regenerating Silica Gel

Silica gel packs can be regenerated (dried out) by heating them in an oven at 300 F for about 90 minutes. They can be regenerated indefinitely.
Rich Greb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2007, 03:05 AM   #6
New Boot

Silica Gel?

Anyone know a good source for silica gel packets? I typically just steal the ones that come in vitamin bottles when I am done with the vitamins, but I am thinking these may not be up to snuff when protecting $2000 in DV equipment.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders