GL2- My opinion to GL1 owners. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old February 15th, 2004, 06:58 PM   #1
Major Player

GL2- My opinion to GL1 owners.

If your GL1 is working well I would not be so quick to get rid of it. These cams may give more artifacts and a little less resolution than the GL2 but the GL1 has a unique warmer over all color that few cams can match. You can always increase color saturation in GL1 footage via editing software. The GL2 is an improvement over the GL1 but reds seem more dominant and caucasian faces can appear more pinkish than they need to be. If the GL2 had the color tone of the GL1 I would recommend it wholeheartedly, but I am hoping for a GL3 to someday appear with these qualities. I usually edit the tint of my GL2 in post using Final Cut Express and I am well pleased with the results, so I am not disappointed with my GL2 purchase. It's a good cam, but the footage can even be edited to look better.
Bill Hardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2004, 07:27 PM   #2
Outer Circle

Quote:
...the GL1 has a unique warmer over all color that few cams can match.
That's what I noticed too. The GL1's color saturation is richer, and more closely matches XL1(s) footage.
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2004, 09:30 PM   #3
Major Player

True about the GL1 good color but for outside footage there really is little to no pink shift to speak of on the GL2 but for indoor shots there sure is. You can color correct that pretty well however. I match the GL2 indoor shots to match the great skin colors I get from my DVC-80 all the time. I also match GL1 and GL2 stuff. I would say I get better results color correcting the GL2 footage than trying to increase the sharpness of the GL1 to match in post. The tape mechanism in the GL2 is kinda finicky though.
Rob Easler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2004, 10:59 PM   #4
Regular Crew

To me, the thing that makes the image differences irrelevant is the audio meters on the GL-2. It is so much easier to get a good solid audio level than just guessing with the GL-1.
Joe Sacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2004, 06:17 AM   #5
Major Player

I've had my cam for quite a while and remember that I once used the sunlight setting briefly on the GL2 and was very impressed with the color quality results while looking at my own hand with the cam, standing at my front door outside. Flesh tones certainly looked much warmer. From what I saw there was a GREAT improvement in color quality on the LCD but I always forgot to use that setting while on an actual outdoor shoot. Has anyone actually used this setting and what are your results? I'm talking it looked as warm as the GL1, VERY impressive. I'm definitely gonna try it next time on an outdoor shoot to make sure.
Bill Hardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2004, 10:27 AM   #6
Regular Crew

<<<-- Originally posted by Rob Easler : ... I match the GL2 indoor shots to match the great skin colors I get from my DVC-80 all the time... -->>>

Rob, what settings do you use indoors, on your GL2, to improve skintones?

Thanks!
Ming
Ming Dong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2004, 10:45 AM   #7
Major Player

Ming, I match them through color corection in post not through settings on the camera but I do try to white balance and/or use the indoor setting onthe cam when inside.

Bill, of course I do use the outside setting when outside and the color is good.
Rob Easler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2004, 03:02 PM   #8
New Boot

For an overall warmer tone . . .

For an overall warmer tone with your GL2, try these . . . I use them and they work great.

http://warmcards.com/
Ron Severdia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2004, 12:27 PM   #9
Regular Crew

I have to agree, the audio is a BIG diffrence between the GL2 and GL1, just being able to control the input is completely worth getting a GL2 over a GL1. Picture quality can always be adjusted in Post, but bad audio is hard to fix.

www.jcmediaservices.com
www.kickbacktracks.com
Royalty Free Video Production Loops!
Jason Casey is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders