GL2 Halos--still at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old February 27th, 2004, 06:35 PM   #1
New Boot

GL2 Halos--still

During a recent post, I mentioned that I was getting halos at the interface of light and dark objects. From your replies, I assumed that this was not normal so I sent the GL2 back to Canon for repair. It was returned after being there ( the Canon New Jersey factory center) for less than a week. Unfortunately, it came back with the halos. Quoting from the Canon documentation that was returnted with the camera-"Normal for captured digital video". What they refered to were two captured 4x6 stills sent along with the camera to illustrate what I was talking about. Those photos clearly showed the problem plus severe bleeding of a blue shirt onto a gray background. They accurately represent what you see when viewing the tape on a TV. The tape was also included when the camera was sent in. I am kind of at a loss at this time. How could a camera that is spoken of so highly produce this type of result and Canon say its "NORMAL"?
Howard Meyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2004, 08:05 PM   #2
Regular Crew

my gl2 doesnt have that kind of problem unless you hav bad luck or something?
Joel Ruggiero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2004, 10:03 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Could you post a sample of the shots you took? I haven't had this type of problem with my GL2 and I would like to see what you are describing. It sounds strange.

Levelse7en@gmail.com
John Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2004, 08:23 AM   #4
New Boot

As you can see from my title, I am a novice. I would be happy to post some pictures if you could refer me to a site that would tell me how. Or you could send me the instructions.
Old February 28th, 2004, 04:23 PM   #5
Regular Crew

You could email them to me as an attachment if they are under 2 megabytes. I'm at john_r_lee_81@hotmail.com. I'd be happy to post them. This sounds like a very interesting problem.

If you want to post them for yourself you'd probably have to set up a geocities account and upload it there, or go to another "free" provider who would give you some space to upload them too.

Levelse7en@gmail.com
John Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2004, 05:37 PM   #6
New Boot

John
The email I sent you was returned. Is the address correct?
Howard
Old March 1st, 2004, 06:29 PM   #7
Outer Circle

Could it be ghosting or flaring? See here:

http://www.ferrario.com/ruether/vid_pict_characts.htm
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2004, 11:40 AM   #8
New Boot

Frank
Excellant site-I just added it to my favorites. And I think I see the problem. It is Electronic Ringing. The white line edge effect that they demonstrate at the edge of the man's black shirt and the panes of the light are exactly what I am suffering from. They say this a result of Over Sharpening. On my GL2, unfortunately, I get this without the benifit of over sharpening. It occurs in the Easy Recording mode as well as the Auto mode (where I have not increased the sharpening).
Many thanks. When I return my GL2 to Canon- again- I can now describe the problem in terms they can understand. Apparently, my use of the word "halos" must have confused someone because the problem was not recognized and the camera was returned with the edge effects still present.
PS: If anyone knows how to get rid of the edge effect in the Easy Recording mode I would be interested in hearing from you.
Old March 2nd, 2004, 05:26 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Easy Record Mode = No adjustments

You can't make any adjustments when in Easy Record Mode. Instead, set it on Auto mode then play with the CSTM PRESET settings. Try reducing Sharpness and see if that helps. Turning down Color Gain a little may help too. (see pg83 of your GL2 manual)
Ming Dong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2004, 07:51 AM   #10
New Boot

Ming
I understand that you cannot make any adjustments in the easy record mode. What I don't understand is why Canon would fix the sharpness at a level that would cause ringing in this mode. For the casual user- or my wife- who wants to just point and shoot, I feel that you end up with a degraded image in this mode, at least with my GL2.
Old March 5th, 2004, 05:15 AM   #11
Wrangler

Canon sets the image parameters at a value that they feel will be acceptable for typical image content for most users in their target market. This means it may not be right for all scene content, and users with a critical eye will not be satisfied. That is why there are many offerings on the market, and why there are manual settings available on the better gear.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders