filter order at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old March 7th, 2004, 01:09 PM   #1
New Boot

filter order

I have a GL2 (kinda new) and need to put in a UV filter and a polarizer. I will be filming by a lake with lots of sun and reflections.

What order do I put the filters in? UV first or polarizer? and if I add a neutral density, that makes 3 filters. Is that too many? if not what order?
Should I change the AE. shift function to -1.5? does it even help?
I am filming in frame mode and would like to keep the shutter at 60 if possible.

thanks for any help with filter confusion
Franck Ler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2004, 01:54 PM   #2
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Franck,
For this shoot, skip the UV and just use the polarizer. UV filters are used as a purely protective measure for the lens on video cameras. They offer no image enhancement whatsoever.

In general, you want to use the fewest number of filters posssible at any given time.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2004, 02:40 PM   #3
New Boot

thanks for the informative answer .. and I won't burn my lens if I film in brightly lit situations? should I use a neutral density filter anyway, even if it slightly decreases video quality?
after this answer, I am out and filming ... my wife is having a hard time prying the camcorder off my hands
Franck Ler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2004, 06:10 PM   #4
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Use the camera's internal ND filter first. If you need to knock down the exposure even further after using the polarizing filter, then use a supplemental ND filter. In this case, I recommend placing the polarizer on the outside.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2004, 07:19 PM   #5
New Boot

Thanks Ken, you rule. I have been watching this forum among a few others and must commend you for an excellent job as moderator/motivator. Precise, friendly, personal and of course very knowledgeable!!
Franck Ler is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders