unhappy without interchangeable lens system at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old April 23rd, 2009, 07:06 PM   #1
Regular Crew

unhappy without interchangeable lens system

I own a Canon GL2, but am unhappy with not having an interchangeable lens system. So, I'm either wanting to get a 35mm adapter, or buy an XL2. What do you recommend I do? I know I will probably have some responses telling me to go HD, but I can't afford a $3000 camera right now. What would be the best route? keep my GL2 and get a 35mm adapter, or buy an XL2?
Nicholas Oliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2009, 06:10 AM   #2
Old Boot

Once you have your XL2, how much do you think you will be spending on lenses for it?
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2009, 09:24 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Bernard View Post
Once you have your XL2, how much do you think you will be spending on lenses for it?
not sure. I know lenses can be expensive, but I can buy used lenses from here.
Nicholas Oliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2009, 06:04 AM   #4
Wrangler

The issues of course are what drives the requirement for a interchangeable lens and what is the budget. One can do a lot with adapters for the GL2 to get a wide range of focal lengths at much lower price points than the cost to get the equivalent range view with interchangeable lens camcorder. Thus an interchangeable lens in and of its self may not give you any advantage.

Used XL1 and XL1S camcorder are about the lowest cost for interchangeable lens MiniDV camcorders today, but even that is substantially more than a decent WA adapter for a GL2.

Having had and extensively GL1, XL1, A1 Digital, L2, and now XH-A1 and HV20, with both interchangeable lenses and using adapters, for most purposes interchangeable lenses are not needed. Not I say MOST, not ALL. If you have specific creative needs or shoot in certain types of venues, an alternate len option may be a real advantage - but only you can evaluate that.

If you are looking for 35mm film-like depth of field, you need a 35mm film size sensor, or one of the several 35mm lens adapters (e.g., Letus35) , which are available for the GL2. The sensor on the XL2 is only slightly large than the Gl2 and will not give much of a change in DOF compared to 35mm film.

However, having a XL2 does look cool compared to the handicam form factor of the GL2.
Old April 25th, 2009, 07:30 AM   #5
Inner Circle

I think there's other value to an XL2 than cool. Moving from Handycam to an XL1s was a big boost in learning for me because of the additional controls and ease with which I could get at them. I rarely use the WA lens but I'm glad I had it a couple times. YMMV.

But like Don said, if you think you are getting DOF improvements just by going to interchangeable, then you are mistaken. You need to add the lens adapter like Letus.

That said, the XL2 will give you a significant image quality improvement (esp in 16x9 and frame mode) and efficiencies in managing your rig with a few more things built-in (mainly shotgun & XLR audio). It also provides places for the extra boxes you will may want to add as you advance your skills (wireless receivers, battery, DTR etc). You can add Letus and 35mm lens adapter to the XL2 too.

Also consider your legs. adding all the adapters and moving to a bigger rig may leave your (perhaps) little handycam based tripod and head unsatisfactory.
Les Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2009, 09:36 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Going to changable lenses and hd is more like 6000 dollars.

staying in SD the gl2 is awesome, but the xl2 gives a lot more adjustment to your footage. Audio as mentioned and image presets.

the primary reason for a changable lens is for telephotos and quality macro lenses in my book.

A gl2 with a century 2x multiplier and a Wide anglge converter will cover 97% of everything unless you shoot wildlife.

Best buy (for interchangable lenses) right now is an xl2. there is one in the dvinfo classifieds for 1600 canadian dollars with some do dads included!!!

I shoot with a gl2, xl2 and an xlh1 and I still use my gl2!!!!
Old May 5th, 2009, 09:52 AM   #7
Obstreperous Rex

Thread title changed from Question! to Unhappy without interchangeable lens system. Please avoid ambiguous thread titles on this site. Thanks in advance,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders