DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon GL Series DV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-gl-series-dv-camcorders/)
-   -   Blown fuse on GL2! (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-gl-series-dv-camcorders/23366-blown-fuse-gl2.html)

Vladimir Chaloupka March 22nd, 2004 08:45 PM

Blown fuse on GL2!

Hi, just wanted to say I love these forums and all the great info, and I was wondering if anybody else has had this problem which I recently encountered:
I was in the middle of a wedding shoot, when the LCD screen suddenly flashed white and then all power was lost to the GL2 (it did not respond in either the camera or vcr modes, and I was also unable to eject the cassette). It only took two weeks to get it back from the Factory Service Center, with a statement that part #FU3204 had been replaced. I did call the center, and they said that the part was a fuse, but now it should be fine.
And yes, everything seems to work, but now I'm paranoid that it could happen again during a critical shoot. (And, since the eject mechanism didn't work, the tape was in the camera for at least a week if you count the back and forth shipping time)
Thanks for any advice...

Imran Zaidi March 22nd, 2004 08:54 PM

Wow a very rare occurrence indeed. I've never had any cam blow out like that on me. I'm sure it was just a fluke...

Ken Tanaka March 22nd, 2004 10:19 PM

I've never heard of this happening to a GL2. However, nearly all consumer electronics have some types of fuse circuits, often to protect more expensive subsystems from power problems.

Vladimir Chaloupka March 23rd, 2004 01:27 AM

Thanks for the responses--it must have been a freak accident. I guess my main concern now is that if the fuse blew during recording (and then I was unable to eject the cassette), could there be some consequential damage (or just extra wear) on the video heads or other internal moving parts?

Ken Tanaka March 23rd, 2004 01:34 AM

Since the camera is working properly and since Canon service has checked it out, I recommend just resume having fun! A power problem would not wear the heads or other parts. Shoot!

Graham Bernard March 23rd, 2004 02:53 AM

OMG! Not another weird thing!

Hmm . .Ken? I wonder if David knows about this possibilty?

.. Hey David!!!

. . . grazie . . . . .

Robin Davies-Rollinson March 23rd, 2004 03:20 AM

I think we should just take the battery of our camera, take out the tape, place camera back in case (without shaking it) and take up water-colour painting - then again, those pigments might be carcinogenous........

Robin.

Don Palomaki March 23rd, 2004 05:13 AM

FWIW: The GL1 has three fuses. I suspect that the GL2 is similar.

Vladimir Chaloupka March 29th, 2004 02:56 AM

Thanks again for the resonses (and Robin, that is hilarious, where do come up with that crazy stuff?)

James Holtzman May 12th, 2011 07:39 AM

Re: Blown fuse on GL2!

After many years of good service, multiple "eject errors" and a replaced zoom rocker, the camera died just after shooting a video under water. I pulled the cam from the case to shoot some more video, and it wouldn't wake up, no leds, dead. Changed battery, no luck. Won't eject tape, no record or playback mode, dead. Most problems are simple, like a blown fuse, any suggestions? I've pulled the clock battery as somebody elsewhere suggested, no luck. I'm away from home, in Belize, have some tools and have repaired the cam before. Does anybody know where the fuse/s are located? I have no problems taking the panels off.

The only thing I can think of was a sudden change in humidity, but overnight, still dead. Likely an open fuse, or an open power switch, but as I said, won't work in rec or playback mode. How about a ribbon cable needs to be reseated?

Ideas?

Jim

Quote:

Originally Posted by Don Palomaki (Post 161177)

James Holtzman May 27th, 2011 12:01 AM

Re: Blown fuse on GL2!

The GL2 has six fuses, all on the main board, all surface mount, very small, not sure of the size, about 2x4mm? What's strange, normally when a fuse is soldered to a circuit board, such as a pico fuse, you have to hold each end with pliers as you solder the part, so the heat doesn't destroy the fuse. This isn't possible with this type of fuse, must not be as sensitive to heat.

The fuses are visible once the rear panel is removed, but to remove the rear panel, other panels have to come off first.

Jim

Quote:

Originally Posted by Don Palomaki (Post 161177)