Blown fuse on GL2! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old March 22nd, 2004, 08:45 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Blown fuse on GL2!

Hi, just wanted to say I love these forums and all the great info, and I was wondering if anybody else has had this problem which I recently encountered:
I was in the middle of a wedding shoot, when the LCD screen suddenly flashed white and then all power was lost to the GL2 (it did not respond in either the camera or vcr modes, and I was also unable to eject the cassette). It only took two weeks to get it back from the Factory Service Center, with a statement that part #FU3204 had been replaced. I did call the center, and they said that the part was a fuse, but now it should be fine.
And yes, everything seems to work, but now I'm paranoid that it could happen again during a critical shoot. (And, since the eject mechanism didn't work, the tape was in the camera for at least a week if you count the back and forth shipping time)
Thanks for any advice...
Vladimir Chaloupka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2004, 08:54 PM   #2
Trustee

Wow a very rare occurrence indeed. I've never had any cam blow out like that on me. I'm sure it was just a fluke...
Imran Zaidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2004, 10:19 PM   #3
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

I've never heard of this happening to a GL2. However, nearly all consumer electronics have some types of fuse circuits, often to protect more expensive subsystems from power problems.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2004, 01:27 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Thanks for the responses--it must have been a freak accident. I guess my main concern now is that if the fuse blew during recording (and then I was unable to eject the cassette), could there be some consequential damage (or just extra wear) on the video heads or other internal moving parts?
Old March 23rd, 2004, 01:34 AM   #5
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Since the camera is working properly and since Canon service has checked it out, I recommend just resume having fun! A power problem would not wear the heads or other parts. Shoot!

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2004, 02:53 AM   #6
Old Boot

OMG! Not another weird thing!

Hmm . .Ken? I wonder if David knows about this possibilty?

.. Hey David!!!

. . . grazie . . . . .
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2004, 03:20 AM   #7
Trustee

I think we should just take the battery of our camera, take out the tape, place camera back in case (without shaking it) and take up water-colour painting - then again, those pigments might be carcinogenous........

Robin.
Robin Davies-Rollinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2004, 05:13 AM   #8
Wrangler

FWIW: The GL1 has three fuses. I suspect that the GL2 is similar.
Old March 29th, 2004, 02:56 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Thanks again for the resonses (and Robin, that is hilarious, where do come up with that crazy stuff?)
Old May 12th, 2011, 07:39 AM   #10
New Boot

Re: Blown fuse on GL2!

After many years of good service, multiple "eject errors" and a replaced zoom rocker, the camera died just after shooting a video under water. I pulled the cam from the case to shoot some more video, and it wouldn't wake up, no leds, dead. Changed battery, no luck. Won't eject tape, no record or playback mode, dead. Most problems are simple, like a blown fuse, any suggestions? I've pulled the clock battery as somebody elsewhere suggested, no luck. I'm away from home, in Belize, have some tools and have repaired the cam before. Does anybody know where the fuse/s are located? I have no problems taking the panels off.

The only thing I can think of was a sudden change in humidity, but overnight, still dead. Likely an open fuse, or an open power switch, but as I said, won't work in rec or playback mode. How about a ribbon cable needs to be reseated?

Ideas?

Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Palomaki View Post
James Holtzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2011, 12:01 AM   #11
New Boot

Re: Blown fuse on GL2!

The GL2 has six fuses, all on the main board, all surface mount, very small, not sure of the size, about 2x4mm? What's strange, normally when a fuse is soldered to a circuit board, such as a pico fuse, you have to hold each end with pliers as you solder the part, so the heat doesn't destroy the fuse. This isn't possible with this type of fuse, must not be as sensitive to heat.

The fuses are visible once the rear panel is removed, but to remove the rear panel, other panels have to come off first.

Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Palomaki View Post
James Holtzman is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders