Completely dead GL2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old June 1st, 2009, 10:30 AM   #1
New Boot

Completely dead GL2

Figures my first post here would be one of panic.

I have to say though, of all the DV forums out there, this one seems the best so I'll stick around (if I can get my camera working again). :)

Took the camera out of the case yesterday and it was completely dead. Thought it might be the battery. Hooked it up to power adapter with same results. The power light came on very faintly, but that was it. Replaced the coin battery. No luck. Took the camera apart and tried all the tricks I know. I purchased this camera in non-working condition. The handle was broken and the standby switch was jammed in the lock position, giving the impression that record was non-functioning. I fixed all that for about $30 and the camera worked great until yesterday.

I noticed a sticker with listings of littlefuse part numbers. Are there fuses internal to this camera?

I didn't notice any fried circuits nor the tell-tale smell of smoldering silicon.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Rick
Rick Beddoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2009, 08:50 AM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

Hi Rick, to me it sounds very much like a blown master fuse. You'll have to send it to one of the two Canon USA video service and repair centers (one is in Irvine, CA and the other is in Jamesburg, NJ) to have the fuse replaced -- there is no other alternative.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2009, 10:01 AM   #3
New Boot

Thanks Chris,

I'm guessing that's a couple hundred $$$ to fix?
Old June 3rd, 2009, 09:42 PM   #4
Obstreperous Rex

Hard to say; it depends on what else your camera needs (tape path realignment, etc.). The usual charge for busting open any camcorder is right around $250. Most of us look at that as just the cost of doing business.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2009, 09:28 AM   #5
New Boot

Agreed. Although in the 'cost of doing business', I'm pretty lacking on the 'business' part these days.

Now I've noticed the smell of fried silicon. That's usually a pretty bad sign with electronics. :(

May be time for a new camera.
Old June 14th, 2009, 01:24 PM   #6
New Boot

Completely dead GL2

You mentioned that a light came up on the camera dim, not completely out. If there was a blown "pico fuse" on one of the circuit boards, I don't think you would see any life in the camera at all. Since you mentioned the LED was dim, I would consider a bad voltage regulator on one of the boards somewhere.

Slightly off topic, but just for info:

I wish I could find a service manual, or at least a schematic for the camera. So far, I've done most of the repairs on my own camera and a friend's. My GL2 is on it's third zoom control and going on it's third tape deck. I replaced all of the zoom controls myself and Canon has offered to repair the "remove cassette" problem a second time for $70. I've also made repairs of the circuit around the red button on the rear, the standby switch.

I've documented my procedure for taking the camera apart, as far as accessing the zoom control and the small flex circuit which has the still photo button, the red button, and the standby switch. I haven't posted any of that info yet.

If anybody has diagrams to share, that would help all of us.

Jim
James Holtzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2009, 09:57 PM   #7
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Holtzman View Post
You mentioned that a light came up on the camera dim, not completely out. If there was a blown "pico fuse" on one of the circuit boards, I don't think you would see any life in the camera at all. Since you mentioned the LED was dim, I would consider a bad voltage regulator on one of the boards somewhere.

Slightly off topic, but just for info:

I wish I could find a service manual, or at least a schematic for the camera. So far, I've done most of the repairs on my own camera and a friend's. My GL2 is on it's third zoom control and going on it's third tape deck. I replaced all of the zoom controls myself and Canon has offered to repair the "remove cassette" problem a second time for $70. I've also made repairs of the circuit around the red button on the rear, the standby switch.

I've documented my procedure for taking the camera apart, as far as accessing the zoom control and the small flex circuit which has the still photo button, the red button, and the standby switch. I haven't posted any of that info yet.

If anybody has diagrams to share, that would help all of us.

Jim
Jim,

I would not call that off topic as far as I'm concerned. I've rebuilt this particular GL2 twice (meaining I've removed all the covers, did some stuff, and replaced the covers). This device seems very user-serviceable for those who are into that sort of thing.

The bad news is that during my attempts at troubleshooting, a small puff of silicon smoke reared its ugly head. I think it's dead, Jim. A new mainboard is $700 :(.
Rick Beddoe is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders