missing frame? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old June 12th, 2009, 09:24 AM   #1
Regular Crew

missing frame?

I was working in PremierePro on a project shot with a GL2 when I noticed what seemed to be a dropped frame in the avi file. I've looked closely at it (frame by frame) and there's clearly something wrong. It's noticeable in both the audio and video. I thought perhaps that it was an issue with the capture process. But, I checked the original footage by playing it in the camera and found the glitch there too.

It was interview shot with no camera movement. This was new tape. The camera has probably around 200 shooting hours max. There are no mosaics or pixelization... just what appears to be a missing frame so that on playback it appears/sounds like a tiny jumpcut. Only happened once... but once is one time to many.

Any ideas what it could be?

Thanks.
Kent Fraser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2009, 01:28 PM   #2
New Boot

missing frame?

Have you tried running a head cleaning tape through the camera lately? I'm sure there are pros and cons to it, but it probably couldn't hurt.

I repaired a GL1 recently which I found full of cat hair and some food particles. It had real bad dropouts too. I ran my head cleaning tape on the cam but didn't have a chance to check it afterwards.

Jim
James Holtzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2009, 04:42 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Yes, I have... a while ago But I haven't used the camera much since I last cleaned it. So, it's like doing it "lately"... right?

The odd thing is that there is no pixelization. Just what appears to be a jump cut. I didn't think digital video dropout would look like analog tape dropout.

Any thoughts?
Kent Fraser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2009, 03:35 AM   #4
Wrangler

A single missing frame, not a blank (black), noise, or white frame?

Odd. Have not heard of that before on original camcorder tape.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders