GL2 White Balance to Warm Cards at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old April 1st, 2004, 03:55 AM   #1
New Boot

GL2 White Balance to Warm Cards

I shot my first wedding last month with my new GL2 and the footage is "reddish". Following the advice from others on another forum I had white balanced to a 1/2 warm card (very light shade of blue).

My question is this- I have heard and can tell after using the GL2 that the Gl2 tends to be warm or red already. Are others having success using the warm cards w/ the GL2? If the Gl2 is already warm/red shouldn't I just balance to a plain white card? Any other tips I sould be aware of for better color (shooting indoors, churches, etc.)?

TIA for your comments,

Paul
Paul Nuttall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2004, 08:19 AM   #2
Major Player

First, you are going in the wrong direction with the warm card. The warm card shifts the color balance toward red. So white balance on white.

Second my Gl2 tends toward red also. To some degree this can be controled by using the custom set up menu to reduce the red level and then making sure you have the custom key on when you tape. Try setting it down a notch or two.

Third, the red shift is more pronounced in low or warm (i.e. household type) light. I bet you wont have a problem outside in daylight but watch for it in low light situations. Using higher color temp--cooler--(e.g. 3200k or higher video lights) light indstead of regular incandesent warm lights helps.
Bill Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2004, 11:32 AM   #3
Inner Circle

I've had the same experience. When filming outside, the colors tend to be pretty close to right on with the GL2. When in low-light situations (for me, stage performance events) things go toward red, especially if you leave white balance on auto (bad idea). If you film with an XL1, the red effect is much worse than with a GL2 (which I prefer over the XL1 for many reasons).

I would take Bill's advice and have your custom key set to reduce the red effect, and then active the custom key when in low light situations.

By the way, I've also found that the GL2's manual white balance feature is very good, so use it whenever possible.
Old April 1st, 2004, 12:25 PM   #4
Major Player

Just to reiterate, always manual white balance when lighting conditions change. BTW, I flip the Warm Card over and use the white side for accurate color reproduction.
Bob Harotunian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2004, 04:31 PM   #5
Inner Circle

The only reason I was suggesting having your custom key set up to reduce the red is that in some instances, often at weddings, you change lighting conditions frequently, and you may not have time to redo your white balance all the time. But it is quick and easy to hit the 'custom key' if you have to.

I agree, though, if you have the time, always manual white balance.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders