GL2 needs a mate? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old April 7th, 2004, 09:57 AM   #1
Regular Crew

GL2 needs a mate?

Thought I would ask you fellow GL2 owners about this..... (here are the facts) I am in need of a second camera. I have a GL2. I really like it. My budget would allow for another GL2, or a *cough* VX2100.

Should my second camera be a GL2 also? Or, would I be getting the best of both worlds if I went with the Sony for cam 2? Would video from the two different cams be an issue in post or the final product (appearance or color correction nightmares)? I was figuring that it would be nice to have the strengths of both these cams available for obvious reasons, but I am concerned that I may be overlooking some serious cons. Feedback?
Old April 7th, 2004, 10:32 AM   #2
Major Player

Of course 2 GL2's will match better if you are mixing footage but I think you might be more pleased having a different cam as well in your arsenal with the grainlessness of the Sony.
Rob Easler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2004, 10:45 AM   #3
Major Player

James,

I would go for the second feature set a different cam would offer. You'll need to do some testing in post but once you've figured out the right "formula" to match the two, applying it in the future wouldn't be hard.
Rob Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2004, 09:00 PM   #4
New Boot

As an unhappy GL2 owner, I would vote for a different camera for the second unit. Why? Halos and color bleeding. I have had an on going dialog with Canon regarding this problem with my GL2 since I bought it last December. The factory has had my camera twice and a tape was sent a third time. They kept saying that it met factory specs. Finally, I received a call from a very helpful lady at Canon. She said that after hearing of all my problems, they took an in-house GL2 and repeated a scene similiar to mine and guess what? They got a halo also. As a result of this, my tape has been sent to Canon in Japan for their analysis. Meanwhile, they suggested I reduce the sharpness to minimize the problem. Not my idea of a good fix since it degrades the overall picture sharpness which is what I bought the camera for. But at least, they are working at resolving this issue.
Howard Meyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2004, 10:50 PM   #5
Major Player

You can buy my GL2 so that I might get a PD170.

:)
Bryan McCullough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2004, 12:15 AM   #6
Old Boot

Way to Go Howard! - Nice reaction AT last from Canon. THIS is the sorta after sales admission that is often lacking in consumer goods . .

Bryan - LOL !

Grazie
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2004, 04:43 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Have u guys had any trouble matchinbg video from a GL1 and a GL2? My GL1 seems to have a slightly different color than the GL2 when using the same manual settings on both.
John Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2004, 06:11 AM   #8
Major Player

I am aware of the color bleed problem; in fact I was one of the first to bring it up on this forum but my view was not accepted back then. If it really bothers you though here is another solution; sell your GL2 (I may be on the market for a mate for mine by the way) and get a pair of something else. I would never mismatch a pair if I could help it. You will miss out on the expense saved on sharing batteries, wide angle lenses and other accesories between cameras and you will end up buying more expensive stuff.

wbuddy1065@hotmail.com
Bill Hardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2004, 03:45 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Re James S above.

My advice- stick to your gl2! Get another! pound for pound they r fab. For the extra cash sony require, you could have a couple of wide angle lenses, or a steady cam accesory (very usefull), a couple of big batteries, or maybee an underwater case or a new tripod. Or a new mic.
Old April 10th, 2004, 04:35 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Thanks for the feedback folks. Many good points were raised, and I have been thinking a lot about it too. The ability to share lenses, batteries, etc. is a big plus. Another con with the Sony is that I have never used one, and would have to learn the specific details with manual operation...a process I am still refining with the GL2. Also, I am very pleased with results from the GL2 after manipulation of the manual settings (all suggested from these forums). The "pound for pound" comparrison always falls on the side of the GL2 to me, and I have plenty of Ideas for spending the hundreds of dollars I will save with the Canon. Bottom line, I decided I will go with the GL2 for cam#2. Low light be damned! (hey, maybe I'll get one of those snazzy 3pc. light kits I been reading about) Those that recommended a different cam, I agree with the reasoning completely, but I will wait to diversify until I can purchase cams on the next level. Thanks again for the comments, it was a big help.
Old April 10th, 2004, 05:08 PM   #11
Major Player

James,

I am in Dallas and am planning on selling my GL2. I've only had it for about 6 months and she has been babied.

If you're interested let me know.
Bryan McCullough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2004, 08:12 PM   #12
New Boot

Good luck with your second GL2. Just a word of caution, however. Do NOT assume the second one will perform as good as the first one. There has been enough feedback to prove to me that there are bad GL2 to be had. I also know from first-hand experience. For your own sake, make sure you have a grace period where you can return the camera if it does not meet expectations.
Old April 11th, 2004, 12:03 AM   #13
Inner Circle

Not to contradict you, Howard, but isn't that true for any piece of electronics? Some just have issues, while others perform brilliantly. At least that's been my experience. I haven't seen a dramatic number of complaints against GL2 quality, so I would expect that the Canon and Sony have similar percentages in the equipment failure category.

Remember, just because something costs more, doesn't mean it will work better. An example? An agency that I work with has multiple cameras. A Sony beta, a Canon XL1 and a Canon XL1S. In just the past four months alone, the beta has had an issue where it appears to be recording just fine, and then, back at the office, the footage on the tape will suddenly switch to black and white, even though it showed as color on the monitor at the shoot. Both of the XL1 models are currently down with separate issues.

Now for me, I own 3 GL2's, and I've had them for nearly a year-and-a-half now, and I've not had a single issue with any of them. And these are cameras that cost thousands less (and yet produce great video).

So I wouldn't tend to worry about getting a bad GL2. I really don't think the odds are against you any more than if you bought a Sony, or a $30,000 Sony.
Old April 11th, 2004, 06:27 AM   #14
New Boot

Travis
I have no rebutal against your argument. And the fact that you have 3 GL2s that you are pleased with only strengthens my case. You would not have purchased three, however, if objects you shot were surrounded in a white halo with colors that bleed onto the background. Would you not feel compelled advise others to be cautious if the Canon factory could not correct the problem after sending the camera or tapes from the camera in to them on three separate occassions? After reading all the reviews and owner's feedback on the GL2, I am convinced it can produce excellant video. I am equally convinced that some are getting out the factory door with a problem that Canon either can't or doesn't want to spent the money on to fix. I am not saying to avoid the GL2- only to purchase one with the option to return or exchange it if you get one with the "PROBLEM".
Old April 11th, 2004, 05:10 PM   #15
Regular Crew

sounded like a good region filter effect at first! But point taken. Praise God mine works well(and if i have any probs youd probably hear me roar like a bear with a sore head!). With respect to low light, i could be wrong, but from the experience ive had, the sony vdx2000e was only a tiny little better in low light.(i borrowed it for 4 days, my mates expensive malfroto tripod impressed me more than the camera!)

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders