Hot-shoe mount shotgun for GL-2 - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old April 13th, 2004, 02:27 PM   #16
Outer Circle

Quote:
Canon DM-50 doesn't count; I've heard nothing but bad things about it.
Steve, I heard the opposite.

There's a lot of great mic info on the audio forum.
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2004, 09:39 PM   #17
Regular Crew

How does the SGM-X sound?

Just a follow-up on my impression of the Azden SGM-X hooked up to my GL-2...

The fact that it uses a 1/8" mini-plug was a nice touch. It came with a short cable and that was mighty handy ... no XLR converters here.

In a very quiet room, I noticed that I could faintly hear the zoom motor, but only when I had the audio levels turned up fairly high. When there was any other kind of noise going on (and there usually will be in my case) I couldn't hear the zoom motor at all.

The sound is definitely better than the stereo mic that comes on the camcorder itself; the on-board mic has a bit more echo to it.

In fact, this brings up a particular point. I was trying to see just how "directional" this new shotgun mic was. So far, I notice very little attenuation of sounds coming from the sides of the mic. It gets rid of echoes but I still hear stuff from the side at just a tiny bit lower volume than in front.

This is my first use of a shotgun mic, mounted on a camera or otherwise, so perhaps my expectation of just how "directional" these things are is a bit high.

I'm not necessarily unhappy with my purchase, as an improvement over the camcorder's built-in mic in a camera-mounted solution was what I was after ... but just how directional are these mics supposed to be, anyhow?
Web, Video, Photography, Audio
Steve Williamson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2004, 10:34 PM   #18
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Quote:
. but just how directional are these mics supposed to be, anyhow?
Well, how much do you want to spend? <G>

There are several designs and grades of "directional" microphones, with prices ranging from roughly your SGM-X up to well over $2,000. Most of the higher-end mics are designed mainly with boom usage, rather than on-camera usage, in mind.

Mics with the some of the tightest sensitivity pattern are commonly referred to as "super-cardiod / lobar" designs and have fairly sophisticated circuitry and components to offer better off-axis rejection than the electret condenser in your SGM-X.

But be careful what you wish for. A high-quality, narrow-field mic requires some dedicated and skillful handling to produce consistent sound qualities. For example, aiming one at a subject's chest will produce a different quality of dialog sound than aiming it at his mouth. They're that sensitive. So mounting one on a camera would not really be very practical.

As an epilogue, all mics will pick-up some off-axis sound. It's just the nature of reflections and the general bounce of sound's pressure waves. Also note that the practical nature of placing a directional shotgun mic on a camera orients it in generally the worst possible attitude for sound quality: horizontal. Not only will you pick up whatever subject the camera in pointed towards, but you'll also pick up everything behind him. That's why you'll generally see boom operators pointing mics downward or upward toward their subject(s).

Have fun!

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders