Audio Settings on GL-2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old April 13th, 2004, 11:20 AM   #1
Major Player

Audio Settings on GL-2

Looking for advice on basic settings to work from...

Using a GL-2 with a Studio One XLR-BP adapter for shooting interviews with a wired lav and wired handheld.

Since I can control input levels both with the cam and the XLR-BP, I was wondering how you experienced folks would set up the camera/adapter and where you would do you adjustment?

XLR-BP on full - Cam adjust to -12 dB?
Cam on full - Adjust levels with XLR-BP
or is there a sweet spot on both?

Looking for the best sound without extra hiss.

Thanks

Ken: If this would be better on the audio section of the board - feel free to move it.
Mike Cavanaugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2004, 11:55 AM   #2
Major Player

I've been using mine setup with the audio on the GL set at auto and just watch my levels in the LCD or EVF and turn up the XLRPro as needed.

My wireless kit is a Sennheiser 100ENG and found that with the output at full I still have to run the XLRPro at full on that mic using either the XLR or 1/8" cable.

The XLR mic I use is an Audio Technica and I typically just have the end user do a quick 1-2-3 into it and calibrate to about -3 peaking at 0db.
Miguel Lombana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2004, 06:50 PM   #3
Major Player

I use a BeachTec under my GL2 but the concept should be the same. Typically, I have a shotgun on one channel and a wireless on the other. I always keep the BeachTec levels at max and dial in the audio with the camera's controls. That way there is no chance the camera might record a click from the adapter. BTW, these were the instructions BeachTec provided I believe.
Bob
Bob Harotunian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2004, 07:22 PM   #4
Trustee

Keeping the GL2's audio metres around 40-50% will give you a good balance between added noise and gain. Using too much gain will add to your noise level and distortion.

The Studio1 is passive (AFAIK) so doesn't gain, so having it cranked up shouldn't be a problem. If I'm using one mic - say mine Evolution 100 - I simply put my XM2's audio channels on approximately 40% for one channel and 50% for the other, and adjust the trim on my SignVideo adapter if I need to (after setting it for mono output) so that I read -12dBFS nominal on one channel and about -20dBFS or whatever on the other.

If you get Jay Rose's book on audio he did audio tests with some miniDv cameras, including the Gl2. The differences in s/n and THD+N were quite a bit when comparing different input levels (Thereby having to crank the gain on the camera up to reach -12dBFS)

Aaron
Old April 14th, 2004, 10:21 AM   #5
Major Player

Thanks - Anyone else have a favorite initial setup?
Mike Cavanaugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2004, 02:16 PM   #6
Major Player

Aaron,

You have that book? Let me know if you wanna do a book swap sometime........

wow that made me sound like a nerd!
Old April 14th, 2004, 05:57 PM   #7
Trustee

Haha Joe! Yeah I have that book and the Post Production one. Just flick me an email if you want to borrow it and we should catchup for that beer sometime!

Catchya
Aaron

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders