What are the best GL2 custom presets?? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old April 14th, 2004, 08:25 PM   #1
New Boot

What are the best GL2 custom presets??

Hi all,
I'm calling on all you experienced videographers for some help determining the best GL2 custom presets. I know, for example that our GL2 Yoda, Barry likes -1 sharpness, +1 color gain, +1 setup. I'm not sure if he uses that all the time though.... Barrry?

What about other popular preset set-ups? What are yours set to and when do you use them - outdoors in the sun, indoors, always? While I'm sure personal preference is key, I'd love to hear which presets tend to give the best overall true-to-life images on the GL2. Input would be great to give us GL2 newbies a place to start.

Thanks,
Robert
Robert Pflugfelder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2004, 02:09 PM   #2
Regular Crew

That is nearly impossible to say. Every shooting situation is diffrent, so a setting that someone uses for outdoors in the sun will probably not work with someone else. The sun can be brighter, you can be shooting towards the sun or away from the sun. Your best bet is to really learn what eack of the settings do and how they affect your picture. Then adjust them for your particular situation.

www.jcmediaservices.com
www.kickbacktracks.com
Royalty Free Video Production Loops!
Jason Casey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2004, 02:16 PM   #3
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Jason's correct; there are no definitive presets that would cover all circumstances. It really depends on what you shoot, where you shoot it, and what you plan to do with it in post production.

As Jason suggested, experiment, experiment, experiment. That's a big part of the fun in having such a camera!

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2004, 05:45 PM   #4
New Boot

It is good to hear this - I guess I sort of assumed there was a kind of "standard" preset that you started with, but it sounds like there is plenty of adjusting on the fly as well. Any other input or preset advice?

-Robert
Robert Pflugfelder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2004, 11:16 PM   #5
Major Player

I've shot with the following for about the month:

-1 sharpness
+1 color gain
+1 setup

Barry Goyette wrote an article (featured right here on dvinfo.net) the link is http://www.dvinfo.net/canongl2/reports/gl2-bg3.php

and my results have been excellent, however I'm considering a minor change and tweaking the sharpness back to 0, I don't like the fact that I'm starting at a negative number when I get to post.

As for white balance, I won't hit record until it's done and i have used blue cards as well for effect, I also typically only shoot in auto mode and use the exposure lock to "play"... again no disappointments.
Miguel Lombana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2004, 04:35 AM   #6
Major Player

I have my CP set for low light situation. So, sharpness almost all way down (to remove grain), negative set for color gain also (but not that much). Also negative for setup (like -1 or so). So my "night" shoots look like night but without grain or muddy reds...
Old April 21st, 2004, 12:21 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Hi!

When we talk about white balance - when I am indoor, I always use manual white balancing with white paper infront of camera. Is that OK? On the other hand, when I am outdoor, I use factory preset (sun). Is it better to use manual balancing always?

And Miguel, what did you mean by "blue card effect"?

Marko Zorec
Marko Zorec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2004, 04:50 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Use the WB always when light situation changes. I just experimented yesterday and there is visible difference between preset and manual balance (nice sunny day with just few clouds).
Darko Flajpan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2004, 10:33 PM   #9
Major Player

I have to make one comment on WB because it took me about 3 takes to get a shot the other day due to something interesting.

I was shooting a scene of a fishtank, I had done a manual white balance to a warm card and found the colors to be washed out and rather crappy.

I went to a SUN preset and it was perfect, nice, warm and true. So moral of the story, don't just trust the WB that you get doing it manually, you may want to check it one time against the presets cause you never know if that one is better.

Just a quick tip.
Old April 22nd, 2004, 02:07 AM   #10
Major Player

Totally agree on that Miguel, I used to maual WB all the time till I had a dodgy shoot. Luckily I noticed and then selected SUN preset and it was ace.

Another tip is to try SUN preset when inside a church (lots of light coming in) as this works well sometimes.
Old April 22nd, 2004, 02:21 AM   #11
Old Boot

Ah, Alan . . you've seen the Light! - Couldn't resist!!!

WB-ing is also a good behind the cammie "reality" check. "Oh, Canon, is THAT what you think white is .. uh huh?!?" - Then I can say .. . thanks . . but no thanks. . .You buying me a Pint at the IoV?

Grazie
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2004, 12:05 PM   #12
Major Player

You need to keep yourself on your toes Grazie all the time with this video. So many things to check and be "aware" of, that is experience ;)

As for the pint you will have to catch me first, see you there!
Old April 23rd, 2004, 12:15 PM   #13
Major Player

WB update

Spent all day today shooting outside here in sunny Kent UK, yes it is sunny and tee shirt weather even though it is only April.

The Sun preset WB was great for all the actual outdoor shots, I went for lunch and decided to preview the footage (inside). Some odd overexposures but a lot less than normal, that practice thingy must be working ;). I did however try a quick shot of the "eatery" inside as it is a restored 16th century barn, switched to indoors WB and it was yuk. Once Sun preset was used it was a great picture.

Final thing is remember your sun tan lotion even if it is April in the UK.
Old April 23rd, 2004, 11:35 PM   #14
Major Player

<<<-- Originally posted by Marko Zorec : Hi!

When we talk about white balance - when I am indoor, I always use manual white balancing with white paper infront of camera. Is that OK? On the other hand, when I am outdoor, I use factory preset (sun). Is it better to use manual balancing always?

And Miguel, what did you mean by "blue card effect"?

Marko Zorec -->>>

Marko I've been so busy with a newborn that I haven't been paying attention to my posts and totally missed this question from you.

Blue Cards are slightly off-white and tinted blue cards which when used to white balance force the camera into a deeper red mode. Works by tricking the logic of the camera, something that you could do with a preset however this is more painless.

I got a set of white balance cards that came with Blue and Green cards from www.studio1productions.com and they've paid off a couple of times.

Miguel
Old April 24th, 2004, 12:19 AM   #15
Old Boot

Miguel - Excellent educative display of what all this means too!

Grazie
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders