Filter positioning at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old April 15th, 2004, 12:22 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Filter positioning

Alright, please forgive me if this has been covered already. I did some searches and came up with no solid answer.

I just need to know if there is an ideal order for stacking various filters. I will be shooting in Hawaii next week and I plan on using,(in no particular order) a Canon UV, Black diffusion 1/2 fx, .3 ND and a polarizer. I know this is somewhat vague. I guess my main concern is with the polarizer, Black diffusion and the external ND filter.
Ryan McBride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2004, 12:47 AM   #2
Outer Circle

Welcome, Ryan, just use 1 filter at a time.
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2004, 12:48 AM   #3
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Hello Ryan,
It may be intuitively self-evident that you generally want to minimize the number of filters in front of the lens at all times. The GL2 has a really optically excellent Flourite lens that can really shine best when naked. Filters are also a source for flares and internal reflections that will further degrade your image. So you want to think very carefully before using them.

With that as background, I would eliminate the UV filter. It will serve no beneficial purpose to your image whatsoever.

Next, are you absolutely certain that you will need the external ND even with a polarizer (which will probably knock you down 1/2 stop or so)? Since the GL2 only has one internal ND, and since fiddling with high shutter speeds is a very bad idea, the answer may be "yes". But just reverify it for yourself.

Now, what order should you use? Well, I'm not certain. But I would be inclined to place the polarizer on the outside, since it will need to be rotated for each shot.

If needed, I'd probably put the ND next and then place the diffusion closest to the lens. If you use auto-focus at all this would help to prevent the camera from picking up the diffusion filter's details in certain iris/focal length combinations.

I could be all wet on this, since I've never stacked more than two filters. But that's my reasoning.

I'd be glad to come out to help you. <g>

Good luck!

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2004, 08:33 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Thank you for your information. I knew it was a bad idea to load a bunch of different filters on the lens. I just wasnt sure if i could use the 2 or three in conjunction with eachother, or the order in which to do so. I think I have a better idea now. After a few months with this camera and a few more months of ready posts I was under the impression that it might be a good idea to use an external ND filter along with the cameras internal filter to help regulate your depth of field while shooting in bright areas. Maybe this was with out the polarizer. Any way, thanks again. Im off to check on all of the above.
Ryan McBride is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders