About to buy mic and tripod – is this the best choice? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old April 17th, 2004, 07:33 PM   #1
Regular Crew

About to buy mic and tripod – is this the best choice?

I've been searching these forums forever now trying to decide what I should buy for my first setup. I already have the GL2 and am about to spend around $700 on a mic and tripod. Can someone please let me know if this is the best way to spend my money?

1. Bogen 3181 Tripod/501 Head combo. B&H price: $374
2. AT897 Shotgun mic: B&H price: $280
3. Beyerdynamic Shoe Shock Mount: B&H price: $30
4. Hosa mini stereo to XLR Adaper: B&H price: $10

I think the 3181/501 combo would suit my needs best because it has the 75mm half ball and its not too expensive. The AT897 will be my multi-purpose mic until I buy a wirelss mic later. Question: Will the AT897 mic work fine on my GL2 with the simple Hosa adapter until I am able to buy the SignVideo XLR adapter? I would assume it will work without any mixers or anything, but a direct plugin. Please correct me if I'm wrong. Also, will the 897 work well for long outdoor shots (sports, etc) as well as relatively short-range indoor shoots such as interviews?

Any suggestions/comments would be greatly appreciated before I drop the money on this setup. Thanks!!
Chris Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2004, 07:54 PM   #2
Outer Circle

Seems okay, a little pricey though. I'm not crazy about that shock-mount (Beyerdynamic EA86). I almost bought one but went with a Senn instead. I'm not crazy about the 501 head as well. For a tripod/head combo, why not just go with the Manfrotto 055 pro and 128RC head? It's cheaper.
Quote:
Will the AT897 mic work fine on my GL2 with the simple Hosa adapter until I am able to buy the SignVideo XLR adapter?
Is that mic battery powered?
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2004, 08:15 PM   #3
Regular Crew

From what I can tell, the Manfrotto 055 (aka Bogen 3221 Wilderness tripod, right?) is a decent tripod but not quite as stable as the 3181... this may be inaccurate though. The major benefit to the 3181 is the 75mm half ball leveler. Do you still think the 055 is a better buy for a multi-purpose tripod?

I'm also surprised to see you recommend the 128RC head. Isnt this a micro-fluid head that will not produce good tilts/pans, especially for long telephoto shots? Most people seem to recommend at least the 501, if not the 503, for the GL2 and similar-sized cameras.

As far as the mic goes... the AT897 can be battery or phantom powered. Do you know if this will work well on the GL2 with that Hosa adapter?

I have also heard about the AT835b. It's $40 cheaper than the 897. Would this be a better option? I've looked everywhere and can't seem to find the differences between these two mics.
Chris Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2004, 08:27 PM   #4
Trustee

Chris,

I have the wilderness 3221 tripod w/501 head and I like it. But it may not be for everyone. Its heavy at 9.1 lbs. It also has a center column so I suggest the leveling head accessory (3502) for about $65.00 which will add to its cost.

Good points, fast setup and leveling. The 501 head which was tight when I got it is now really smooth, also I can get really low shots by removing the center column and using the included short plug for head attachment. Hope this helps.

Mark
Mark Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2004, 08:39 PM   #5
Outer Circle

Quote:
I'm also surprised to see you recommend the 128RC head. Isnt this a micro-fluid head that will not produce good tilts/pans, especially for long telephoto shots?
It's pretty smooth for a fluid-action head; and it along with the 055pro is stable for small cams. Plus it's not that heavy to carry it around with you in the bush. But if you want a real tripod, and don't mind the extra weight (or bucks), consider a Miller DS5.
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2004, 02:43 PM   #6
Major Player

Does anyone have any experience with the Gitzo G-1128 or G-1228?
Stephen Sobel is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders