Could the GL2 possibly be the camera I need? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old May 7th, 2004, 11:49 AM   #1
Major Player

Could the GL2 possibly be the camera I need?

I currently am using a Sony TRV38 and have not been impressed with the lack of manual controls and the low light shooting ability at all.

I have 3 weddings booked this summer to shoot, and I am not looking forward to using the TRV38 for them at all.

I was hoping to save enough for a PD170 but it doesn't look like that is going to happen.

The GL2's price is very attractive, almost half the PD170 here in Canada.

I guess my questions are

1. Will it be better in low light than my Sony TRV38?
2. Will a Sony 10W/20W light be sufficient with it?
3. Does anybody know if the beachtek XLR adapter that I have for my TRV38 will work with the GL2?

Thanks guys.
Jeff Toogood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2004, 01:23 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: Could the GL2 possibly be the camera I need?

<<<-- Originally posted by Jeff Toogood : I currently am using a Sony TRV38 and have not been impressed with the lack of manual controls and the low light shooting ability at all.

I have 3 weddings booked this summer to shoot, and I am not looking forward to using the TRV38 for them at all.

I was hoping to save enough for a PD170 but it doesn't look like that is going to happen.

The GL2's price is very attractive, almost half the PD170 here in Canada.

I guess my questions are

1. Will it be better in low light than my Sony TRV38?
2. Will a Sony 10W/20W light be sufficient with it?
3. Does anybody know if the beachtek XLR adapter that I have for my TRV38 will work with the GL2?

Thanks guys. -->>>

I made a similar jump for the same reasons just a couple of months ago. I went from a TRV330 to a matched pair of GL2's and all the accessories and gear that I need to shoot weddings.

My take on your questions;

1. YES (3 chips vs 1 - any day)

2. YES but you may want to invest in a slightly more pro light that can be dimmed but not essential. I have been using Frezzi Micro Fill's for DV and NRG Varalux Pro's and the nice thing is that the both start at 20w but one goes to 35 and the other to 100, both can be dimmed cleanly without a change in color temperature. Basically if you white balance with one at 20 watts and jump to full power, you have the same light color so you don't need to re-balance.

3. Yes the Beachtec is universal in that regard.

Be sure to let the group know what you decide to do and shop carefully, don't get ripped off by some low-ball internet vendor, this site has several sponsors that are all trustworthy and are most important authorized for the Canon Rebate of 250.00 US on the GL2!

Miguel
Miguel Lombana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2004, 05:03 PM   #3
Regular Crew

yes get a gm2 they r cool. But with the cash your saving, get a good mic.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders