Getting a better idea of final image? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old May 11th, 2004, 03:48 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Getting a better idea of final image?

I notice that when I film with the XM2 and use the LCD screen, the image looks nicely lit until I put the video onto my computer and it's always much darker. I can't afford a monitor, but I was thinking if I plugged my camera to a 14" TV, would that give me a better idea of what the final image will look like?

Thanks
Stewart McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2004, 03:58 AM   #2
Trustee

Stewart,
If your final destination for the video is to be TV, then it makes good sense to be able to monitor on a TV. A good and properly set up domestic receiver will be fine.
As for the darker image on your PC, why don't you record some colour bars and play them back on the PC monitor and adjust your contrast and brightness settings until they look right? That's one of the reasons for reference colour bars anyway...

Robin
Robin Davies-Rollinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2004, 04:31 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks for the reply Robin.
Stewart McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2004, 05:54 AM   #4
Old Boot

Stewart, have you altered the LCD's own brightness setting? Only a thought. - G
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2004, 06:08 AM   #5
Major Player

I used to have the exact same problem and have been checking out the colour bars too. Note that the NTSC bars have a contrast area in the bottom right but us PAL folk don't. What do you recommend for this Robin?

At the moment o do not use the LCD as I get a pretty accurate result with the viewfinder.
Old May 11th, 2004, 07:37 AM   #6
Trustee

NTSC bars are useful for setting up of black level with the lower bars.
This is one occasion where the auto exposure mode will be handy, to produce an image that the camera thinks is the norm. If you can see it on a tv and it looks okay, then accept that the PC monitor need tweaking. That's why I suggested the colour bars.
The eyepiece is always the best way to view when you're shooting. You can shield daylight from it easily and get a good idea of the image. The little LCD screens are not much use in daylight, even with a hood on them. Even shooting on full-size gear in daylight, where we use a Sony broadcast field monitor, we've either got to put it in a van or cover ourselves up with a black cloth like Victorian photographers with plate cameras!

Robin.
Old May 11th, 2004, 07:41 AM   #7
Major Player

Thanks Robin, I will give them a go.
I automatically thought we could not use them as we were PAL.
Old May 11th, 2004, 07:42 AM   #8
Obstreperous Rex

A computer monitor is not a good choice for previewing video. You really need to view your tape on a professional video monitor, or at the very least, a consumer television set.

If your final video program is intended for web video delivery, or meant to be viewed on a computer screen from a video CD, then you'll need to process your video during post-production in order to optimize it for computer displays.

There's a world of difference between a computer display and a television; DV camcorders such as the GL2 / XM2 are intended for television standards. Hope this helps,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2004, 07:48 AM   #9
Major Player

Chris,

I use a TV to output my timeline playback as I edit, as you say it is a must.
My initial comments were because i could see the difference as they are next to each other (too obvious). Thanks for your heads up.
Old May 12th, 2004, 01:07 AM   #10
Major Player

If your system allows it, you can improve the colour rendition of your PC monitor by improving the colour profile it uses.

If you have Adobe Photoshop, it includes program called Adobe Gamma with which you can calibrate your monitor.

I have successfully adjusted an Iiyama TFT mnoitor to provide a very close match to my domestic TV using this.

There are several alternative programs available for download, eg quickgamma and wiziwyg.
Alan Craven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2004, 10:06 AM   #11
Major Player

Wondering if zebra could aid in determining if shots are under/over exposed instead of an exterior monitor.
Bill Hardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2004, 02:25 PM   #12
Trustee

Bill,
You're absolutely correct - that is the function of zebra bars. Depending on how you set them up, eg 70%, 80%, 100% , they'll keep you informed when there are areas of your picture which are over-exposed.
People have their own preferences as to where to set the zebra. I know some cameramen who set their viewfinders to 70%. I had to take over on a shoot a few weeks ago on such camera. I had to change it pretty sharpish because I prefer 95 - 100%.
Nothing wrong with any of the settings, but you need to be able to interprete the information which comes with experience.

Robin.
Old July 23rd, 2004, 06:20 AM   #13
Regular Crew

I just wanted to thank everyone for their info in this thread. I'm preparing to shoot my first short, and I was concerned about the difference in initial lcd image and the final image on tv. I don't have the money for a studio monitor, but I do have a color tv that I can hook up while shooting interior scenes....

I found this thread interesting too:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...ght=color+bars

I love the forums here at dvinfo.net....
Dennis Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2004, 08:50 AM   #14
RED Code Chef

I always use the zebra bars a lot on my XL1S to see what kind of
exposure I'm getting.

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders