GL2 and plug-in power? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old May 15th, 2004, 10:10 AM   #1
Tourist

GL2 and plug-in power?

Hello!

I come from an audio field recording background and work with binaural microphones to collect sound. I was wondering if the Canon GL2 can supply my binaural mics with plug-in power much the same as consumer MD recorders do? I belive the mics need something like 3.5 volts. I'd love to start some video experiments in connection with binaural sound and think the GL2 might be the right camera for me.

Thanks and I look forward to future posts.

Kurt
Kurt Gardella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2004, 07:35 PM   #2
Regular Crew

5v jack

perhaps. there is a 5v jack on the side of the GL2 and I've always wondered what it's intended use is. The manual does not mention this. Does anyone know the specs on this jack?
Hank Freeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2004, 02:00 AM   #3
Trustee

I've often wondered about that power socket myself.
I've found that this site:
http://www.trak-net.com/Products/Canon/html/canon-xl1s.htm

for the XL1S mentions it as a possible mic power point, whereas the review of the XM2:

http://www.trak-net.com/Products/Canon/html/canon-xm2.htm

doesn't. It does, however, give some very detailed specs on the camera!

Robin.
Robin Davies-Rollinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2004, 12:10 PM   #4
Tourist

I was kind of thinking that the "normal" mic in would supply the mic with the power needed. Has anyone tried that? Just for your information these binaural mics that I use don't have an internal battery or battery pack (although one is available) - they get there power from the mic-in of a portable MD or DAT recorder. I guess I'll just wait until I purchase my GL2 and give it a try myself.

Thanks.

Kurt
Kurt Gardella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2004, 09:06 AM   #5
New Boot

I once tried to use a plug-in power mic with my GL2 and got no sound. It did, however, work with a Sony TRV-27, which has a mic input labeled "plug-in power." You could find a way to use the power from the 5 volt output for the mic, but it would be easier to use a battery box between the mic and the camera.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders