Compressed DV best quality possible from GL2, right? (No hope for uncompressed) at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old August 10th, 2009, 09:53 AM   #1
Major Player

Compressed DV best quality possible from GL2, right? (No hope for uncompressed)

I'm pretty certain that I already know the answer to this based on my own experience with the GL2 as well as reading the forum, but I want to ask in case there is someone who knows something I don't.

AFAIK, the only video signals possible out of the GL2 are:

1) signal to tape
2) signal to computer via FireWire
3) signal to deck via S-Video
4) signal to deck via composite
5) signal to deck via BNC (with use of MA-300, which I believe is only passing through the signal from the composite connection)

All these signals I understand are all coming after the video is compressed to DV at 25 Mbits/s, correct?

Meaning there is no possible way (or hope) of getting a feed from the camera before compression occurs, correct?
Old August 10th, 2009, 03:41 PM   #2
Wrangler

I believe that the signal is processed as analog RBG for white balance, gain, etc. then A/D converted to 9-bit 11.25 MHz RBG bit streams for DSP. The DSP output is a pair of 13.5 MHz 8-bit (Y/C) signals that are multiplexed to a 27 MHz, 8-bit for the recorder and firewire output, and decoded for the analog outputs. (This assuems a signal flow similar to the XL1.)

The firewire signal may be the best output, followed by the YC output. Read from tape may be about the same as the firewire - less any tape read/write errors that may happen.

There are no user accessible signals that I am aware of beyond your list.
Old August 10th, 2009, 04:01 PM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Palomaki View Post
There are no user accessible signals that I am aware of beyond your list.
Thanks for the info Don. That's pretty much what I suspected, which is a bit sad. Oh well.
Old August 14th, 2009, 10:15 AM   #4
Inner Circle

This used to be the source of much gnashing of teeth, but these days, with new camcorders coming out right and left promising raw HD output, the whole issue seems kind of moot. The GL2 is a nice camcorder, but it's from a different era.
Marco Leavitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2009, 03:47 PM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco Leavitt View Post
but these days, with new camcorders coming out right and left promising raw HD output, the whole issue seems kind of moot.
Yes, but in the current economic situation, finding ways to squeeze the most out of what you already have is important. Available funding for independent productions is dwindling, at least it is here in Canada.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders