Rain Slickers at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old May 20th, 2004, 08:23 PM   #1
Mike Hardy

Rain Slickers

I'm a new member as of yesterday. Been monitoring the site for a couple months, since buying my GL2 from B&H. During this time I've been familiarizing myself with the camera, getting ready for the upcoming summer festivals. Here in Millwaukee (known as "the city of festivals") nearly every weekend has free events in parks and blockparties that feature live music etc. I take advantage of all this, with still dslr, and camcorder in hand. I've captured some great music, from local to big name acts. Of cource outdoors means you're at the mercy of the weather, which brings up my question. Which rain 'slicker' is best? I've been on the Portabrace site looking at the RS-GL2, $150 and the Kata site with interest in the GRC-13, $75. Is one as good as the other, functionally, ergonomically, protectively etc. The price difference is a consideration, but more importantly, which will best protect the gl2? There are no stores in Wisconsin that alow hands on demos, so I'm at the mercy of the websites, and your trusted advice. While I'm on the subject, I own an EOS 10D and was wondering if anyone uses the Kata e702, e704 combo rain slicker for it?
I was also wondering if the Varizoom Stealth (not the rock stealth) is 100% compatible with the gl2? I like the idea of the zoom slide switch.
Well enough babbling for a first time message. I anxiously look foreward to the gathered wisdom of you all!
Old May 20th, 2004, 08:37 PM   #2
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Welcome Mike!
Congrats on your new "baby". I think you'll really enjoy it. Milwaukee is a good place to have a camera. I visit several times a year.

Re: rain slickers for the GL2,
I think you'll be comfy with either the Porta Brace or the Kata. The PB is somewhat better model detailed than the Kata, which is basically a Cordura and clear vinyl bag with a lens hole. But, frankly, it may be all you really need for occasional storm duty.

Re: a slicker for the 10D, I've never used one for mine. I generally just pack a plastic bag. <shrug>

Re: the Varizoom Stealth, yes it will work fine with your GL2. Just make sure you buy the LANC version, not the Panasonic or other versions. (Your GL2 uses Sony's LANC remote control protocol.)

Have fun!

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2004, 08:17 AM   #3
Regular Crew

My two cents --

I purchased the Porta Brace rain cover a couple of months ago for a special project that I knew would be shot in wet conditions. I was initially a bit concerned about the price -- but once I got it, I realized that it is pretty ingeniously designed to allow access to camera controls while still providing significant rain protection. I think it was worth the money.
Jim OMalley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2004, 08:32 PM   #4
Mike Hardy

Rainslicker

Thanks for your replies, and greetings! I know I'll have fun with my new toy. I was plowing through the threads tonight, and came across this thread on the subject at hand.

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?threadid=10893

In fact Ken was part of the discussion. I'm pretty sure I'm going to spend the extra money, and go with the portabrace.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders