Red filters for black and whites? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old May 28th, 2004, 07:49 AM   #1

Red filters for black and whites?

Hello,
I have been dabbling into still photography alot lately and have learned that a yellow, orange, or red filter in front of my lens will give my black and whites more saturation and depth. I was wondering if the same would apply to using a red lens in front of my gl2 while filming in the black and white mode?
Old May 28th, 2004, 08:36 AM   #2
Trustee

It shouldn't make any difference.
With B&W film stock , the filter will have an effect due to the basic colour response of the film being less sensitive in certain areas of the spectrum. Just by taking out the chroma signal of your camera will not duplicate the response that you're used to in B&W film. Anyway, don't take my word for it - try a piece of red gel over the lens and try it for yourself...

Robin
Robin Davies-Rollinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2004, 09:12 AM   #3
Old Boot

. .er . . do it in post? .. . sorry . . g
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2004, 12:59 PM   #4

yeah, i didnt think it would work - film isnt anything like CCD's but i thought it would be worth asking.

as for doing it in post... what would be a good way, using FCP or AFX to get a black and white effect where the blacks appear "blown out" and the whole image has an especially dark overcast tone to it?
Old May 28th, 2004, 02:18 PM   #5
Trustee

It depends on what editing programme you're using. You can take out the colour in Premiere, Avid, etc and play around with contrast and gamma and set-up and gain etc etc.
You can save yourself one step in post by shooting in B&W and adjusting values after the edit, or you can shoot in colour and do it all later...

Robin.
Robin Davies-Rollinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2004, 04:43 PM   #6
Regular Crew

I don't know about red filters, but I have shot DV with a visably opaque infra red filter, and had some very sweet images - just like some of the infra red still photography you can get with IR film (i don't mean that green nightvision stuff on sony cams).

It was much more like b/w with blue sky very dark (almost black) and clouds fluffy white.

So an IR filter might help if you want the cool b/w look.

Cheers,
Dave.
Dave Croft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2004, 06:17 PM   #7
Warden

A red filter will still reduce the visible red spectrum of light. It has a different effect than with panchromatic B & W film, but the effect is very noticeable. I suggest you try the filters and see if you like the effect. Contrast and brightness can then be adjusted in post to simulate film very easily.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders