GL2 with Azden SGM-2X mic at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old June 2nd, 2004, 10:31 PM   #1
New Boot

GL2 with Azden SGM-2X mic

Just joined this forum and I predict it's going to save me some time frantically Googleing for info. I'm learning, but I have little experience and don't know a lot about this.

I'm a playwright. I'm getting ready to make a 30 minute film with my GL2. The story is almost entirely interiors, with dialogue, so I'm looking for help with sound. I don't have the money for what is really needed, so here's what I have in mind:

I'm looking to buy an Azden SGM-2X mic. Can I use the mic input on the side of the camera, and a coverter of some kind, thereby not spending on an XLR adaptor?
Sam Post is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2004, 10:38 PM   #2
Regular Crew

I too had the same problem and was unable to findan adapter(xlr to mini) so i bought an xlr adapter. What you can also do is go for the Azden SGM-X which is a smaller version with a great sound and goes straight to mini. We have both and i find them equally as good for dialogue in or outdoors. For outdoors get a mic muff. Cheap ones found here www.mikemuff.com
Oscar Vidales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2004, 11:14 PM   #3
New Boot

Thanks. That's what I needed to hear -- because I can afford it. Does the XLR give better results, or just more versatility?
Sam Post is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2004, 11:32 PM   #4
Regular Crew

XLR is best for long cable runs. Depending on the situation, a "long" cable run may be as little as ten feet or fifty feet, depending on what kind of electronic interference is found where you are shooting. If you do go with the SGM-2X, you may want to get a transformer style converter from XLR to 1/8" mini-plug. This is discussed well in an earlier thread from here:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?s=&threadid=22353

If you will always have the shotgun microphone right on top of the camera, you may not need to worry about interference, and XLR probably won't be necessary.

I just got an Azden SGM-1X for my new setup, and am planning to use it in shoots where the microphone will be placed about thirty feet from where the camera will be located. There will also be a lot of theatrical dimming equipment in the vicinity. To me, there was no alternative to XLR. It also gives me a bit more flexibility.
Brian Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2004, 11:59 PM   #5
New Boot

We plan to rig up a pole, such that the mic will not be on the top of the camera. This means that xlr is better? I guess now I'm leaning toward the 1x with the converter. Thanks for pointing me to the other thread. Very helpful.
Sam Post is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders