Curly query re. White Balance at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old June 7th, 2004, 01:44 AM   #1
New Boot

Curly query re. White Balance

Hi.... I'm a newbie. I,m using my Canon XM1 (just bought 2nd hand)to transfer all my 8mm cine movies to DVD. I am videoing an image projected on to a large size lens by way of a synchronised
projector which completely eliminates "rolling bars and flicker", which means I am really shooting straight off the emulsion. The results are very satisfying except for some weird colour aberrations! I seem to have a problem with what to set the WB on!.The projector bulb is Tungsten,which is also the camera set, but there is a predominent red cast which I tried to compensate by using an 80b blue filter.The end result is not as good as I feel it could be if I had the correct WB. Friends have suggested.......Grey card,Pink card,White card,clear orange emulsion(from cine film)......I'm a little confused! If anyone has an answer to this dilemma,I
would be very pleased to hear from you...

Cheers Mike W
Mike Watteau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2004, 04:37 AM   #2
Major Player

Mike, not sure about this but have you tried the custom presets in the menu. As it is a Canon I suspect you have the same feature on the XL1.
Old June 7th, 2004, 06:23 AM   #3
Trustee

Mike,
In an ideal world, you could just run the projector without any film and take a white balance off the clear screen.
The only fly in the ointment then would be if the colour balance of the original film material is off.
If it is, and if the result is too orange for your liking, you could try white balancing by fooling the camera that what it sees is white by using a very slightly warm coloured card - again in the projector beam, with no film in the gate.

Robin.
Robin Davies-Rollinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2004, 10:06 AM   #4
Trustee

Robin's on the right track here. Find some clear film base...(overexposed film, runout, or that polar bear you saw that summer you spent on the icecap 30 years ago), and do a manual white balance to that. This should get you pretty close, although you may still find some fluctuations depending on film base, processing etc....but If it's still consistently off a little in one direction, you can do a custom preset with an adjustment to the color gain to clean it up some more.

Barry
Barry Goyette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2004, 08:12 PM   #5
New Boot

Re Curly WB Query

Many thanks Alan/Robin/Barry for the advice.I am now balancing off the clear orange celluloid film and the improvement in the end result is definately the best to date........Thanks once again!!!!!......Mike Watteau

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders