Boom Microphone question...... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old June 21st, 2004, 06:22 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Boom Microphone question......

Hey Everyone,
I recently, purchased a Audiotechnica Unidirectional condenser shotgun microphone, to use on top of my GL2, instead of the one that came with the camcorder, is that a good move so far?

Also the microphones the audio people use when they have them on a microphone boom pole....what type are they usually? Could I use my shotgun I have and purchase a Boom Pole for about 60 bucks...and attach it to the pole? Is that the right kind of microphone for the job? Because if I have a group of people I'm interviewing, I can direct the microphone over their heads to whomever is talking...

Also How would I extend the cable? Could I buy an extended cable at radioshack and run it down the pole? Just because the one that is on the microphone now is not that long at all 6 inches or so.

Please help me out ill take any advice thanks so much!
Kevin Galliford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2004, 06:34 PM   #2
Regular Crew

I am not familiar with the shotgun microphone you have. Is there a model number?

You can certainly use a shotgun mike on a boom. Does the microphone have a 1/8" plug coming out of it? Buying a cable extension may or may not work for you, as such an extension is "unbalanced," and may pick up significant hum. Some shotgun microphones have "balanced" XLR connectors. You can extend the reach of those microphones a whole lot, but when you get to the camera, you need a converter to plug it into the jack on the camera. Such converters have been discussed at length previously on this forum. The following thread was helpful to me...

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?s=&threadid=22353

I have an XLR type shotgun (an Azden SGM-1X), and a Canon MA-300 XLR adapter that fits in the hot shoe on top of my GL2. The mic works great at the end of a 25 foot cable.

Shure makes an XLR to 1/8" converter that does the trick very nicely, and frees up the hotshoe on top of the camera for other purposes. Its model number is A96F. I don't have one yet, but its on my shopping list.

Again, I don't know if your microphone is an XLR or 1/8" type. That is probably the key question regarding whether it will work well on a boom or not.

If you are interviewing a group of people, you will need to be careful about making sure they wait until the boom microphone is in position before they start speaking, or you will have audio problems.
Brian Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2004, 08:21 PM   #3
Trustee

As Brian said, you can most definately use a shotgun on a boom. In fact booming is what you want to do in most cases.

Audio people would use all manner of mics on booms I'm sure, but Shotguns, Cardioids and HyperCardoiods are probably the most common I'd suspect.

A shotgun might be preferred outside so that it can reject more of the off axis sound coming from, well, outside things like cars, birds etc. Using one inside can cause problems cause of reverb as the colouration of the sound that comes from off axis (Bouncing off the ceiling and walls etc - try recording in a bathroom!) affects the final audio and can make is sound "tinny". I've heard people suggest cardioids or such inside, so that while you may still have echo, it won't sound as crap. I only have a shotgun so haven't been able to try a cardioid etc.

Aaron
Old June 22nd, 2004, 08:11 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Hey,
Its' a Audiotechnica ATR-55 Shotgun. I can get a cheap boom pole at B&H for like 60$. I can use that....Should I get a windscreen to put on it espically if im outside in the wind, and give it a more professional look. Where can I get one that is inexpensive that wont block out alot of sound?

And I run the wire straight to the camcorder right?
Kevin Galliford is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders