AT-897 with GL2, questions at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old June 28th, 2004, 07:08 AM   #1
Major Player

AT-897 with GL2, questions

I am thinking about getting a AT-897 for my GL2, but I have read a couple of posts indicating that the sound levels from this microphone are actually lower than the onboard microphone.

Is this true? If so, how is it considered better than the onboard microphone?

PS, this will be used with a Canon MA-300 mic adapter.

Thanks for your time.
Old June 28th, 2004, 11:07 AM   #2
Wrangler

Hi Jeff,

Off the cuff, I can't make an exact comparison between on-board levels and the AT-897...might be an interesting experiment to try while I'm doing some voice-overs this week. The AT-897 MIGHT BE a bit less sensitive than on-board (by all reports, it is definitely not as hot as a Senn Me-66), but I've been able to get adequate levels.

As to why get the mic: even if the levels are lower, the sound is MUCH cleaner than with the on-board microphone. Even an amateur like me can immediately appreciate the difference.

I happen to use a Sign Video XLRPRO rather than the MA-300, but that shouldn't make too much difference. If I do get around to doing a comparison this week, I'll post (unfortunately, I was going to be on vacation this week, but duty calls).
Pete Bauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2004, 03:18 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Jeff, I use the AT-897 with my GL2 voa tje MA-300. So far I have used it exclusively for voice audio. Biggest change over on-board is that it is much more directional. I can't compare the sensitivity straight on with the onboard, but in a test last week I was getting an acceptable level from a person speaking in normal voice 15 ft from the camera. This was in an office setting.
Old June 29th, 2004, 04:44 AM   #4
Wrangler

Output levelis not the only consideration when assessing the relative quality of mics. As indicated above, factors such as frequency response, noise, distortion, and directivity come into play - as does the intended use of the mic; e.g., a 12" long shotgun does work well as a lav and may not be best for recording large ensambles

The AT897 has a nominal output rating of 10 mV, the ME66 about 50 mV, or about 14 dB higher output for the same input level. This is probably due to higher internal gain in the Sennheiser.

The standrd GL mic is a cardoid pattern for each stereo channelwith the channel offset 90 degrees from each other and thus has a wider acceptance angle than the shotguns. In some test I ran a couple years indicate that the GL1 internal mic sensitivity is lower than the rated sensitivity of the AT897. However, it will be much more suceptable to sound from the sides and that might make it appear more sensitive in some shooting conditions.
Old June 30th, 2004, 06:51 AM   #5
Major Player

Well, with the limited budget I have, I decided to get the Azden SGM-1X instead. It was almost half the price when you figure in the currency conversion. Hopefully I won't regret it.
Old July 1st, 2004, 04:16 PM   #6
Wrangler

Let us know how you like it!
Old July 5th, 2004, 10:49 PM   #7

FOR WHAT IT'S WORTH, I JUST BOUGHT AN AT-897. I HAVEN'T ACTUALLY USED IT YET, BUT I TRIED IT OUT THE OTHER NIGHT AND COMPARED IT TO THE GL-2 ONBOARD MIC. I COULD DEFINITELY HEAR MORE AUDIO HISS WITH THE ONBOARD MIC COMPARED TO THE SHOTGUN. I'M HOPING I MADE A GOOD CHOICE. :) DAN

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders