gl2 shotgun mic help at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old July 9th, 2004, 10:14 PM   #1
Regular Crew

gl2 shotgun mic help

heres the deal, i have a gl2 and need a shotgun mic for it, but i dont want to have to go through the mic adaptor from canon (i dont have much money, only 17 years old and some how mannaged to buy a gl2) i was just looking to get a mic that uses the hot shoe on the top of the handle. any help would be greatly apreciated, thanks in advanced.

-alex b.
Old July 9th, 2004, 11:13 PM   #2
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

"i was just looking to get a mic that uses the hot shoe on the top of the handle."

No such thing. The shoe is a proprietary interface.

You could use something like the Sennheiser MKE300 which mounts to the shoe but connects to the external mic port.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2004, 06:12 AM   #3
Wrangler

Doesn't the Canon DM50 use the GL2 hot shoe? I can't speak to its quality though.

From the CanonDV web site "Simply slide an accessory, and the shoe transmits power directly from the GL2. Canon's DM-50 Directional Stereo Microphone* (Item Code: 3176A002), the stereo shotgun mic with high sensitivity and super directional pick up. "
Old July 10th, 2004, 08:28 AM   #4
Major Player

Shotgun mics are overrated. What applicatons do you have in mind for it?

John
John DeLuca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2004, 09:06 AM   #5
Old Boot

John, please expand on your,"Shotgun mics are overrated." - I'm very intrersted.

Grazie
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2004, 10:21 AM   #6
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

The DM50 is the only mc that directly uses that shoe, but I assumed that Alex is looking for alternatives with his remarks. He's not being clear.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2004, 06:10 PM   #7
Major Player

Personally, I dont use mine to much. Just wanted to know what he had in mind with it.

John
John DeLuca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2004, 10:07 PM   #8
Regular Crew

thanks for the replies, the 'Sennheiser MKE300' is what i think i need.. and as for what i have in mind for it, i know you guys will think its a joke, but i need it for filming weddings....

thanks again for all of your kind help

-alex b.
Old July 10th, 2004, 11:41 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Alex,

I don't think anyone here will think "its" a joke! We'll all help you the best we can.

A shotgun can only do certain things. Some of us obviously think it is a relatively useless piece of equipment. I am not one of them, but I also understand its limitations. No single microphone is going to provide for all of your needs. I am also relatively new to this craft, and I have a shotgun already, but am planning to get other mics as soon as I can afford them.

If you are going to be shooting weddings, a midrange shotgun mike will help you to get good sound only when you are relatively close to the action in front of you - likely anywhere from four to fifteen feet or so. If you are planning to set up at the back of the hall and record the ceremony, you won't pick up the words of the bride and groom, and the person doing the marrying very well at all with that shotgun, particularly if it is mounted on-camera. Some folks here have talked about putting a wireless lavalier microphone on the Bride or Groom, as the good way to go. However, that is only an enhancement to the sounds of the room in general. A mix of several different inputs is the ideal way to do it best.

Does the church have a P.A. system that you can plug into? Using a couple microphones and a feed from the hall's amplification system can't be connected to the camera in a simple manner. You will likely need a small audio mixer and headphones to monitor what is being recorded. Just more equipment that costs a lot of money!

Good luck!
Brian Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2004, 06:07 AM   #10
Wrangler

A shotgun mic mainly reduces the level of sound captured from the sides and rear of the mic. To the extent it does this, it is useful for isolating sound sources in front of the mic, and can have some distant reach by virture of gain and reducing the level of unwanted sounds from the sides relative to the sound from the front. But keep in mind that it does not focus like a lens - any and all sound in front of the mic is picked up.

In general, the best sound is obtained when the subject is within a few feet of the mic.

For weddings a popular and successful technique is to put a decent wireless mic on the groom or preacher that feeds one channel. The other channel can be from a second mic to obtain ambient sound.

If there is a good PA system, some folks will put a mic by a PA speaker. Perhaps record it to a miniDisc recorder for synch in post.

There are lots of posts here and eslewhere on wireless mics, etc. Check them out.
Old July 11th, 2004, 05:28 PM   #11
Regular Crew

thanks again for taking time out of your day to help me out, i really apreciate it.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders