polarizer for "fishing" adventures at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old July 26th, 2002, 08:38 AM   #1
wardworld@hotmail.com

polarizer for "fishing" adventures

Hi,
I'm using a GL1 to shoot a friend's fishing trip. Do I "need" a polarizer? I know when I fish I used polarized sunglasses, does the GL1 benefit from such a polarizing effect?
Thanks,
D. Ward
P.S. Also any advice for shooting on the water (from a boat) would be appreciated as well.
Old July 26th, 2002, 01:24 PM   #2
Regular Crew

One of the most useful characteristics of a polarizer filter is that it cuts glare. When outdoors shooting through a window, either light from the sun or sky will partially reflect off that window and obscure the camera's ability to see objects past the glass.

A polarizer significantly cuts away that reflected glare and the camera is able to better see "through" the window.

It would stand to reason that in your fishing shoot, a polarizer filter would cut away the reflected glare of the sky and let the camera see through that surface into the water. Unlike your polarized sunglasses, a filter should be designed to rotate freely. This lets the user "dial out" the directional polarized light to maximize it's effect.

It's not like hauling an additional filter is a Herculean task. At worst, if it didn't work for you then take off the filter.
CarterTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2002, 02:56 PM   #3
Warden

This thread makes for some long reading, but will answer just about everything and anything you'd want to know about polarizers. http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2386&perpage=15&pagenumber=1 I hope it helps.

Jeff
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2002, 08:23 AM   #4
Regular Crew

As far as shooting on the water there are a couple things to keep in mind...

It's very tough to hand hold a steady shot if there's any kind of chop at all.

Your best best is to stay physically close to your subject and keep the camera zoomed out to a wide shot. Use your body as a shock absorber to smooth out the movement.

Also, if you're close enough to see shore remember to keep the horizon level in the background. It can be very distracting if it's drastically slanted.

And finally be sure to bring along a towel and lens cleaning materials. Your camera is going to get wet, and flopping fish will throw water on the lens.

Have fun,

mike avery
Mike Avery is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders