Gl2 or DVX-100A at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old July 15th, 2004, 10:35 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Gl2 or DVX-100A

Hello Everyone,

I need your advice. I have a GL2, owend it for 2 months, Its a nice camera and I liek it also, but I kinda have my eye on the DVX100A. Is that a good move? I just seems it's a better camera. More features, and theres more accessores available for it. And alot Nicer looking. Im not making amy films, just some good movies.

I use my GL2 for small documanteries, and Weddings, and some news stuff. Should I move onto the DVX 100A? Please help me ive searched the forums and see what peopel have to say, and i see everyone with a DVX100A.

HELP Me Just need your advice.
Kevin Galliford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2004, 11:24 AM   #2
Inner Circle

i think the DVX is a good cam for wedddings and the progressive nature of it can not only be used for your short movies, but for wedding work too.
Interviews, mini movies, lingerie shoots.. will carry a more cinematic feel... the DVX gamma settings are incredible..

It has some incredible low light performance (i dont know about NTSC land, but here in PAL land it poos on the Sony PD series cams in low light (Ive done gigs using both cams and the DVX retains alot more colour as opposed to the brighter reds and whites of the PD's. Its NOT as bright as teh PD's, but its alot more accurate in colour, and in teh reality, you wont (or shouldnt) be filmin a wedding in pitch darkness without a light.

Apart from that, ur next option is the DVC30.. with also runs fram emode, (like the GL) carries teh same gamma and colour settings as teh DVX and has a lower threshold for low light performance from what i have heard.
I will be gettin one of these cams to use as a secondary cam to the DVX.

one thing to note is that if u jump ship, ull need all the accessories and this will add up $$$$

u may be able to find a nice cheap DVX series 1 for the price of a DVC30..
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2004, 11:25 AM   #3
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

You'll probably get various opinions. As an owner of both cameras my opinion, for the work you described, is to stick with your GL2 if it's still in good working condition. Channel your financial resources into peripherals such as sound and lighting. Channel your time toward sharpening your photographic skills.

My two cents.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2004, 12:47 PM   #4
Major Player

Now that the XL2 is out, panasonic may counter by dropping the price of the DVX to hold on to sales alittle longer. Wait for that drop in price. The DVX doesnt have that 20X zoom, and the GL3 is in the horizon. I agree with Ken though, the GL2 is a great cam.

John
John DeLuca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2004, 12:55 PM   #5
Major Player

GL3 ?!?

John,

You mentioned it, so now speculate on when it will arrive and what it will be.

Inquiring minds want to glow.
Patrick King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2004, 02:23 PM   #6

Aw, Patrick, that's old news. Geez, haven't you seen it yet? I mean everyone's seen it.

(Just kidding)
It's purely in Rumorville. It's vapor, although Canon will certainly eventually introduce a GL2 successor.

Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

Old July 15th, 2004, 02:28 PM   #7
Major Player

Aw, Ken...spoil sport.

Won't you even venture a guess at when the GL3 will roll out with prosumer level XL2 funtionality?

After Cebit Australia? Gives plenty of time to market prior to the holiday season!

Or does Canon only have one design team and they are all vacation after getting the XL2 out the door?
Patrick King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2004, 12:41 AM   #8
Regular Crew

meh. my guess is they're probably going to wait until next year or so. like they did with the GL-1, XL-1S, and GL-2.... the GL will probably come during the "offseason," i.e. after everyone has purchased an XL-2 and the technology gets cheaper for them to produce, then they will most likely migrate parts of it to a GL-3.

and between now and then, there may be a DVX200, a Sony HDV cam, and an unlimited number of other things. there will always be better cameras coming out. just buy what you need at the time.
Daniel Hollister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2004, 01:08 AM   #9

My speculation is no more reliable than yours. As Canon's rebate program ends in September, one might guess that the "GL3" might be due this autumn. Failing that, my second guess would be next summer.

Old July 20th, 2004, 07:50 AM   #10
Regular Crew

gl3

Ya,
A GL3 would be nice.... Maybe some built in XLR inputs. Also like the XL2, a feature to indepentantlly change each color pf the CCD: Red Green & Blue....that would be nice. I love my GL2 maybe a darker color, other than the current silver.
Kevin Galliford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2004, 11:55 AM   #11
Regular Crew

im happy my dvx :)

while i am by no means a pessimist, and a definite gear geek, i still find it an expensive (and somtimes dangerous) hobbby to be a college student and while watching for the latest gear. haha.
Daniel Hollister is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders