A piece of sand inside!!!! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old July 16th, 2004, 09:35 PM   #1
Regular Crew

A piecce of sand inside!!!!

I know this has been discussed once before but today I was out filming with my friends and I went to clean my lens and I notice what appeared to be a piece of sand or something on my lens. Well i took of the filter and to my surprize it was inside. My heart sunk instantly. It is in the small corner and does not show up when I record but I am just worried about it. If it is just sitting there and doesn't show up or bother anything is it all right?? I really need my cam the rest of summer and don't want to send it out if not necessary. What should I do??
Joel Ruggiero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2004, 12:03 PM   #2
Major Player

Im not the most experenced guy on here, but zoom back all the way. If its not there it should be fine. CLEAN THE LENS with a special lens cloth.

John
John DeLuca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2004, 12:05 PM   #3
Major Player

Maybe try a can of compressed air first. Ive never had to deal with a sand grain, it mighnt scrach if you try the lens cloth.

John
John DeLuca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2004, 01:42 PM   #4
Major Player

If I understood Joel correctly, I donīt think that neither the cloth or the canned air will help.

The grain is in between two glasses, that need service to be opened...
How did it get there? good question. The same thing happened to me with my old Hi8. I still canīt figure out, how it got there. Must have been some kind of molecular thing, like "The Flash" did to cross walls.

That grain is still there, and only showed a couple of times when the sun was hitting directly on the lens on certain zoom position. Of course that grain was more to the middle of the lens.. not on a corner.

Since this camera was used only for recreational purposes, it didnīt bothered me.

If you canīt see that grain, then Iīd keep it for the summer.

Unless there was a risk of scratching something... but I wouldnīt know that.
Old July 17th, 2004, 03:15 PM   #5
Regular Crew

well i took a oic it is in the inside of the glass check it out

http://img63.photobucket.com/albums/...k/AUT_0306.jpg
Old July 17th, 2004, 03:58 PM   #6
Major Player

It appears to be in between two of the lens elements. If so, that's a pretty big ding on the manufacturer's quality control isn't it?

Is is stuck to that corner or can you see it move if you roll the camera on its side? If it remains stuck, it isn't scratching anything and I'd say you're safe as long as you don't jar it loose.

If it is tumbling loose between the elements, it probably isn't heavy enough to scratch anything, but I'd be worried about it wedging in a corner and damaging the focal mechanism. If its loose, I'd see about it quicker.

Just my thoughts...your mileage may vary.
Patrick King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2004, 11:08 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Its stuck there and doesn't move. My cam gets jarred around a lot to because I film skateboarding but do you think it would be covered under the manf. warranty?
Old July 18th, 2004, 11:55 AM   #8
Major Player

Joel,

I would think that since the sand is lodged inside a sealed element that the consumer doesn't have access to, it should be covered under warranty.

In fact, I would only discuss it in those terms when you do have it seen about. Don't be snooty, but firmly indicate that you think this is on them since its where its at. Don't get mad, just make certain they agree that this IS covered under warranty.

Patrick
Patrick King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2004, 12:10 PM   #9
Regular Crew

ya i wouldnot go make trouble with customer service i think ill call them in a month or so before my warranty is up because i need my camera.
Old July 19th, 2004, 09:43 PM   #10
Regular Crew

where did you buy your camera? i personally bought my GL2 at Fry's Electronics, of all places. now, Fry's has this interesting system where if you have a problem, you can bring the camera back to them and they will ship it to the manufacturer and deal with all of that. while your camera is out, they actually will give you a GL-2 to use during this time.

i have not had problems with my GL-2, but this is what i was told as i purchased it. in any event, while you may not have this luxury, i still would suggest getting the camera there ASAP and not waiting too long. you never know what kind of fine print Canon might use against your situation.
Daniel Hollister is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders