Help A/V out failed at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old July 25th, 2004, 02:26 AM   #1
New Boot

Help A/V out failed

Hi everyone,
I'm in need of help, my A/V out failed on me tonight on my GL2. I was shooting a concert and was using a Delvcam 5.6 TFT LCD monitor connected to the GL2 to the A/V out. All was going great and then I all of a sudden lost video on the monitor. I thought it was the cable so I changed that out three times with no luck. I then tried using my 3" Citizen LCD and still did not get a picture and then I tried a 5" TV/monitor and again no picture.

I can get a picture using a the onboard lcd screen as well as the viewfinder. And all of the other camera functions seem to be working OK. I just can't get anything from the A/V out jack.

Any help on this would be greatly apprecieated as I have a couple of jobs lined up that I cannot cancel and I really need to get this working again "ASAP".

Thank you,
Thomas
Old July 25th, 2004, 12:54 PM   #2
Regular Crew

I have the same problem with my gl2. Except instead of getting nothing, i get video, just no audio. I wrote a new thread but no one seems to know what the problem is. At this point, I am to believe that this is a defect. Please let me know if you find out anything or if you find out a price that Canon charges to fix a/v out issues. Thanks. Sorry that I can be of no assistance.
Thomas Smith Jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2004, 07:13 PM   #3
New Boot

The A/V out jack might be substandard. I will be contacting Canon tomarrow (monday) to see what they suggest and will post what they come up with. Unfortunetly my GL2 is just over my warranty by about 20 or so days and I didn't buy the extended warranty from the Company I got it from, I'm sure kicking myself right now. If I can't get Canon to fix it quickly I will have to have a local repair shop tackle it.

The total killer is I have a wedding and another concert to shoot in two weeks and no camera to do it.

Is there anyone else that has any problem with the A/V out jack on there GL2? If there are than this is a factory defect and Canon should take care of the problem.

But I will let everyone know what happens!
Old July 26th, 2004, 06:34 AM   #4
Major Player

I messed up with the cables once and the audio out stoped working. But it was just some protection inside the camera, as I "reset" (turn off, remove battery) the camcorder and then it worked again.
That time I was lucky! :)

(I don't remember exactly but I might have also removed the small cell battery that kips the settings...)
Old July 26th, 2004, 10:10 PM   #5
New Boot

Hi Cosmin,

Thanks for the idea but I tried that as well with no success. Even removed the small battery as well and let it sit for quite some time. But still have the problem. I did contact Canon this morning and they could not offer any suggestions only to send it to their repair facility. Which if I went that route they will have my GL2 for almost a month. They said they couldn't get to it for about 15 working days not including shipping time. And from where I live it would take about three days to get there and three days back so basically 21 days or so without a camera.

So my other route was to take it to a local repair shop, where if it is an easy fix such as replacing the A/V jack I will have it back in a week but if it is a broken or shorted board I will still be looking at a three week wait not to mention a high repair bill.

I just can't believe this has happened. All was working well and then "blam" nothing. I could understand it if I would have dropped it or something of that nature but I handle all of my gear carefully. Heck, I even have an older Sony DCR TRV-120 Digital 8 that Still looks and runs like new.

But I guess I have to look on the bright side, At least this did not happen during a wedding!

When I find out what went wrong I will be sure to post it so if this happens to anyone else they will know what to check for.

-Thomas
Old July 27th, 2004, 03:45 AM   #6
Wrangler

If the s-video out works, you could sent it to the monitor. If the monitor is composite input only, you could split the Y signal and at least have B&W.

Were you using the stock A/V cable to feed the monitor?

FWIW: 1/8" mini jacks to not withstand much torque.
Old July 27th, 2004, 04:20 AM   #7
Old Boot

Excellent work-around Don! - G
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2004, 06:59 AM   #8
New Boot

Good Idea Don, but unfortunetly my Delvcam monitor only accepts 1/8". So far I have not found a S video to 1/8" adaptor. Although I may be able to do some splicing, just have to narrow down which wires in the s cable will feed the monitor 1/8".

If the repair is going to cost way to much than I will have to try this.

Thanks
Old August 3rd, 2004, 06:06 PM   #9
New Boot

Hi all,

OK it looks like it is worst case senerio on this one. Finally got a reply from a canon service person about the A/V connection and he stated that the board most likely shorted so a new one will have to be installed. Cost somewhere between $240.00 and $400.00. Now I really wish I would have bought the extended warranty!

I still have the camera at my local repair shop and He is looking into it a little more closely to see if it is something else and that it might be a little cheaper to fix.

I keep ya updated as soon as I hear back from him.
Old August 14th, 2004, 09:58 AM   #10
New Boot

I got my Baby back!!!!!!

My local repair shop was able to get it fixed, but it took having the PCB and jacks replaced. Total repair was $372.00 for the new board and labor.

So I recommend to anyone thinking of buying a new camera, get the extended warranty because you just never know when something is going to blowout on it. In the case of mine it was a combination of a bad a/v cable and a bad board. And being just a couple of weeks out of warranty I had to eat the entire cost of the repair.

Thanks to everyone who posted to this thread to try to help me out. You guys are great!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders