My crazy camera setup at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old July 28th, 2004, 04:36 PM   #1
Inner Circle

My crazy camera setup

I name it my crazy camera setup becaues the microphone setup cracks me up. But after almost 2 year of research (including this community) I came up with this http://droptodesign.com/test/camera/

It consists of:

*Canon Gl2

*AT 835b mic

*Beachtek DXA-4p

*ATR-288W wireless

*Cool Lux mount

*BOGEN 3046

I purchased the ATR-288w from http://www.aaxes.net/ I received my order with no problems from aaxes and they had a good price on this microphone.

I purchased the rest of what's listed from http://www.evsonline.com/ And with out going in to too much detail, unless I'm just hard up for money and EVS has a awesome deal, I probably won't shop at EVS again. To make a very long and annoying list of events short, other than the price they gave me on everything, their customer service is below par, atleast in my experience.

The issue started when I spent a week or so between B and H and EVS seeing who would give me the best price on what to me seem like decent size investment. EVS came out on top by a hundered bucks or so on my package. I had communicated to the sales guy that I needed my stuff shipped to the Fedex store, because I work till 6 every day so there was no way, other than lose money, that I could be at home for the delivery. The sales guy says that shouldn't be a problem. But the sales guy calls me at the last minute (i.e. Friday night before closing, and a day after I had placed my order)and tells me that EVS has a shipping policy that they will not ship to the Fedex store for pick up, that it has to be delivered. So since I work a full time job till 6pm every day, unless I could works something out, my stuff would get sent back after Fedex made so many attempts. Fortunately Fedex has really nice people who worked with me so I could pick my stuff up.

The second thing that annoyed me about EVS is, I was told my package was all in stock and was shipping out, (this after I was told about the impending fiasco listed in the previous paragraph. ) Well I was notified by Fedex that I had a second package coming, then low and behold a third. Come to find out, my package was not in stock and it was being shipped in three stages. The only way I was notified of this was through Fedex. EVS never called me.

The woman at Fedex began to feed me dinner and wanted to take me home since I was up at Fedex so much. (joke)

So between the phone calls to Fedex and to EVS, it's a miracle I got my stuff at all. Thanks Fedex for the great service. I spoke to a salesman who gloated that EVS caters to movie people, and after the conversations I had with them, I really felt like the little bit of money that I was spending, wasn't worth thier trouble.

I will give EVS props for being competetive, even with B and H, but as for thier customer focus, they really need to improve that.

But many many props go out to the people on this forum, you have really helped me with your information. So as I learn stuff, I hope to benefit someone here as well. I am really grateful for this board.

Sincerely,

Steven Davis
Old July 28th, 2004, 04:52 PM   #2
New Boot

i am telling you for the last time, it needs a proper name...

(hes calling it "his little honey bun", and "peanut"
Old July 29th, 2004, 06:53 AM   #3
Major Player

I guess that I have to ask the obvious... where do you mount the light?
Old July 29th, 2004, 07:55 AM   #4
Old Boot

Miguel, whatever you do in the privacy of your own home, that's your "affair" - however, I would really advise against following your "urges" to .. . er .. "climb aboard" an electrical appliance. Have you WATCHED E.R. at all? - Low voltage maybe your only relief . . as it were . ..

Grazie

.. sorry, couldn't resist . .
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2004, 08:12 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Hmmm Light

The light has become my 10 million dollar affair. First of all, I modified that Cool Lux mount, it actually came mounting horizontal to my camera, I lossened the nut and turned it so it faces that way, I can turn it back horizontal. When ever I do figure out my lighting, I will simply mod some type of mount for my wireless receiver and put the light on one of the Cool Lux mounts. The flexibility with the Cool Lux mount is prettty neat I think. Like I said, I'm still in the process of figuring out my lighting, (with the pennies I have left over.) :}

Steven Davis
Old July 29th, 2004, 12:44 PM   #6
Major Player

Grazie,
remember our friends across the pond do not have our sense of humour ;) that is if "sense" is the right word.
Old July 29th, 2004, 01:39 PM   #7
Inner Circle

I thought it was funny~~~~
Old July 29th, 2004, 04:40 PM   #8
Major Player

<<<-- Originally posted by Alan McCormick : Grazie,
remember our friends across the pond do not have our sense of humour ;) that is if "sense" is the right word. -->>>

Oh come on now, we're not that retentive! I totally got it and thought it was a riot!
Old July 29th, 2004, 04:42 PM   #9
Major Player

What pond?
Old July 29th, 2004, 11:10 PM   #10
Major Player

hey, I did not mean to start anything.

I know that some of "our" comments (UK English) have been responded by "what does that mean?" Have seen it a few times.

Quote:
What pond?
enough said (unless Patrick is throwing it back in our direction <g>

btw - I thought it was funny too Grazie - nice one

back to the topic...
Old July 30th, 2004, 06:40 AM   #11
Major Player

I guess you just didn't get my weak attempt at humor. Funny, that's the same reaction I got from the police last week. Must be a genetic deficiency, but even so I didn't understand one of Grazie's posts. Yet as we find in places like these forums, the fact that the pond is 2500 miles wide doesn't keep us from finding that we have much in common. I'll try and be less subtle with the responses, or just give them up entirely and return to the other thing I don't do well: video. Let's see, if I put a really flashy transition on it, they won't notice it's crappy footage to begin with...
Old July 30th, 2004, 06:59 AM   #12
Old Boot

. . nor do I .. Grazie
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders