Repair or replace GL2? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old August 25th, 2009, 08:57 PM   #16
Inner Circle

I'm glad it's all healthy discussion. If working in SD suits your need and there is no reason to upgrade, then don't. =) OP was asking for suggestion, if I were him, I will fix the GL2 and sell it on ebay. Then at the same time, give myself an excuse to start tapping in the HD world. There is a little bit of learning curve and computer software/hardware upgrade. Who knows someday you get a paid gig requiring HD but you will need a lot of time to get yourself familiar with everything new under pressure.

I went back to an old project and grab some still frames from Premiere. It is from the same wedding on the same day in the same location. One from GL2, one from HV20. I simply export the frame into TIF then save as PNG in Photoshop. It is 720x480 with 1:1 pixel aspect ratio. You be the judge

http://lacolorshop.com/blog/images/hollyDavidGL2.png

http://lacolorshop.com/blog/images/hollyDavidHV20.png

Even if you only need to export to SD, shooting in HD, you can always downconvert to SD in post. But not the way around. Also, downsizing from HD to SD in NLE yields better result than just shooting in SD.

I also created a post in my blog http://lacolorshop.com/blog/view.asp?id=44 =)
Taky Cheung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2009, 04:41 AM   #17
Wrangler

Interesting shots. Was the lighting that different, or is it the camcorder/settings?

The underlying issue was with respect to use inside, so a controlled poor light comparison would be interesting. Anything in the HV30 threads?
Old August 26th, 2009, 11:59 AM   #18
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Palomaki View Post
Interesting shots. Was the lighting that different, or is it the camcorder/settings?

The underlying issue was with respect to use inside, so a controlled poor light comparison would be interesting. Anything in the HV30 threads?
Exactly what I was thinking. The Panasonic GS320 I have as my 3rd cam does brilliantly in bright outdoor light (in fact, better than the GL2 because the GS320 is a native 16x9 camera!) but it is nearly useless indoors. Gotta love those tiny 1/6" CCD cams.

So I would be very interested in knowing about the low light specifically as it compares to the GL2 (because I have a pretty good idea about how the GL2 performs).

It is getting so that I might even consider taking out a business loan so I can skip to a ex1 (because those beautiful 1/2" CMOS chips seem to do incredibly well in low light. I might just stay SD for the wedding delivery since I primarily shoot the receptions with one cam + emergency cutaway. That means the EX1 with its great low light could capture all the main events. Of course I'm sure the footage differences between EX1 and GL2 would be very stark and hard to match in post.....
Jason Robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2009, 12:05 AM   #19
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Palomaki View Post

It's outdoor shot. There is no artificial lighting. Both cameras were on auto mode no special settings.

I don't have GL2 anymore and I don't have anything to compare indoor. I have footage to show indoor with XH-A1 and HV30 (sorry it's a boring corporate event video)

LA Color - Wedding Photography and Videography serving Great Los Angeles Areas

All closeup+medium shots are XH-A1. All wide shots on stage and steadicam shots are HV30. Indoor in a dim Bellagio hotel ballroom.
Taky Cheung is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders